Information Collection (articles)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Michael, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Do you have a place on your forums where you store articles and collect decent bits of information for your members to refer to and read? Of course almost all forums are huge resources themselves but do you have a specific section just for articles/information about your niche? If so, do you keep on top of updating it with new and fresh content?

2. gnatster

gnatster Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Yes and Yes.

We have a library powered by vBDynamics that is only available to registered users.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yes, we have an Articles section. We also have several Sticky threads within specific sections (which are often copied to the Articles forum).

Additionally, I manually maintain a "global announcement" (vB feature) of common topics, and links to their thread(s). Every few weeks, I browse through the individual categories looking for very informative threads that seem to be getting a lot of attention (and thus more content/information) and then I add them to the master list entitled "Links to Great Threads from around the Forum": Lineolated Parakeet Forum - Announcements in Forum : General Lineolated Parakeet (Linnie) Topics

Maintaining this list and its organization is so important to me. I'm so anal-retentive (possibly borderline OCD) and I feel like all of the resourceful threads/discussions that have been built up over time are utterly useless if nobody can find them (other than when searching) - so I keep this "Index" for ease of research. There's just so much great information on my forum that it's hard to keep track of it all, but my AR keeps me going! :P

2 people like this.
  4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

That is actually a really good idea Nick, were going to try this ourselves ;)