I'm getting close to losing all faith in vbulletin

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've really REALLY been trying to support vBulletin 4.0 but it's starting to get very hard.
    Here are just a few threads that make my mind wonder what I ever saw in vBulletin.. oh ya, I remember.. it was vbulletin 3.8 and lower that I liked!
    vBulletin Community Forum (this one is very important to me, how can I show clients how to modify their forum if they can't find the docs)
    why does the text format like this? (this is a new bug in 4.0.1,, yes, I said a bug in the update)
    What a complete piece.... and the "Hidden Pencil" (another happy design bug)
    I shouldn't have to navigate to the users page in order to put them on ignore (notice suggestion what he did on his board,, here's an idea, lets fix the default package too!)
    vBulletin Community Forum (speculation)
    Forum Why is my forum so bloated?
    [vB4] Holy crap... can you just tell me where to start changing the colors?

How can inet call this a success when they are doing suck a piss poor job at..1. communicating 2.designing and 3. coding the forum!

</rant>

ps... I'm sure I could list off a few dozen more threads if I wanted, but I got bored
    it's going to be amazing when 3.8 hits EOL and everyone goes to IPB

2. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Even I have lost faith. Not sure what I am going to do. It may be possible that v4 will actually work at some point, at least one of the releases, then my guess would be newer releases will again be broken.

This is one of the reasons I upgraded my v3 license to the suite, to get the latest upgrades for v3 and ticket support, supposedly forever. Yes I know there will only be security updates for the latest point release.

Currently evaluating other alternatives, but if 'something awful' is still running v2 then I probably have some time. Whatever that alternative is, it will need to have good support.

3. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Regular Member

Quality Assurance is not doing their job. They are simply making sure the old bugs are fixed while ignoring the new ones.

If I were Brisco, the following would happen.

First, I'd fire the lot of QA. Obviously they do not know what true Quality Assurance means.

Second, I'd change release execution.

Do not even think of starting on 4.1 until 75% of the bugs in 4.0 are fixed. Release in 300 to 500 bug fix increments. Send the potential release to the new QA Team, and it has to meet the following criteria before being pushed to the Members Area.

1. All bugs marked as fixed by the developers are truly fixed.
    2. No new bugs creep up due to a bugfix.
    If those conditions are not met in QA, then it goes back to the devs with a big fat "not approved for release" sticker and they get to try it again.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

4. KW802

KW802 Regular Member

5. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I posted about the missing documentation and also incomplete help files in the admincp. You never, ever, release a product as complete without the help files. My post was removed. No explanation for it being removed.

You see a pattern developing here and I am not so sure there even is a QA team. So far through all the betas, RC and now gold when a bug is fixed a new one is created or previous fixes are again broken. There are too many hands in the pie working on different parts of the software. Then it's all put together. I doubt there is anyone that evaluates the quality of the final result.

I know the dev model they use, I've even worked under a similar model, and in order for it to succeed you need a good QA team looking at and evaluating the end result. They then sign off on it and it goes into production.

I doubt you'll ever get another quality product from vbulletin. 3.8.4 is the best it will ever be. Is there anything that leads you to believe otherwise? For those waiting for 3.8.5 which is supposed to be released take a good look at the bug tracker for the 3.8.4 branch, look at the bugs they fix and then decide if you want to chance upgrading. An upgrade version to the 3.8 branch by this team very well could bork it too.

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    yup, another good one
    Twitter / Brandon Sheley: Forum Why is my forum so b ...

I've read a few more threads today that would be good examples but I have no idea how to see "today's post"
    I'm guessing it's another one of those past features that didn't make it to 4.0 (customized profiles)

this is one of the threads that should be listed

7. AudiTT

AudiTT Newcomer

thats the problem Brandon, stop trying to support and kill all of your connections with them, believe me you wont have a problem with them anymore. After that, i hope they realize what they are doing and they get a grip. This is necessary for the market.

I was a customer of vb for 5 years and now i hate vbulletin, but we need them too.

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Well that's easier said than done with the vbulletin services I offer. I can't just turn down good money like that ;)

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Because they fooled a lot of customers and got their money.

10. Ryan Ashbrook

Didn't "fool" me, I never bought vB4.

11. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Neither did I. But a lot of people did.

12. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I bought the suite, but than sold it with the site :p

13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I thought that Paragraph Bug really takes the biscuit, amazing. These days I'm beyond belief anymore and nothing surprises me about how bad vB4 is.

I agree, if they can keep you hanging in there. They are doing what they want.

I did cave-in a bought the vBulletin 4 "forum only deal" to renew my license again. But I asked for a full refund later that same week and got it all back.

14. kev

kev Regular Member

Well, I dont know what the big deal is, if you do not want to help beta test VB 4 - then dont.

My opinion on all of this - vb 4 is in the open beta testing phase. You can call something "gold", but that does not magically make it a finished product.

I do not run beta software on my forums. Thank all of you for helping with the vb 4 open beta and get the software finished.

15. Ryan Ashbrook

Of course.

But calling it "Final", "Stable", and stating it's "ready to use in production" does.

16. GTB

GTB Regular Member

It became stable (taken out of Beta) in the eyes of customers, the minute Internet Brands decided to stick a Gold Label on it. The whole idea of a Gold Label is that it's stable enough to be used on a live production site, with little or no issues as such. Reporting back problems still maybe, Yes.

But nobody is Beta testing vBulletin 4 now "as you put it".

17. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

Not all customers. Even if I had all my mods upgraded right now, I would not upgrade my site to the current vB4. My users would have an absolute fit with some of the bugs that are still there.

18. GTB

GTB Regular Member

True, but then you know they are there in the first place. Joe Blogs buying vBulletin software for the first time doesn't have your knowledge of that, unless he takes the time to start reading-up on vBulletin.com before buying. All he see's is that vBulletin 4 is now GOLD plastered on their front-page and thinks it's ready the rumble - not crumble from bug overload.

19. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    another fantastic thread
    Forum What good is the stylevar search?

I think I'll just take down my 4.0.x test setup, I don't care to pay to beta test especially when I offered to test back when Ray was in control and was told they didn't need my help.

20. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I hate vB 4