If a forum were to look like these, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by boyuancy, Apr 24, 2013.

1. boyuancy

boyuancy Regular Member

I've been looking for design inspirations and somehow, I want my forum design to be as minimalistic as possible, with a ton of breathing space.

I am linking to 2 websites here, none of them are forums. But I just want my forum to look like a cross between both these 2 sites.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not promoting these sites (not intentionally :P).

Site 1

Site 2

So if you guys were to make a XF or IPB forum which would look like these, what would you do (in terms of background, header, etc.)?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I like both the designs on those two sites, I dig the call to action on site #2 ;)

I wouldn't use either as examples of what to do on forums though.

3. boyuancy

boyuancy Regular Member

Of course, I wouldn't either, not directly. I was looking more at the color scheme. I really like the two-tone thing (white + another color).

I think I have my primary color finalized (other than white).

I just needed suggestions on how to go about the header, the background, etc.

Brandon likes this.
  4. xHysteria

xHysteria Regular Member

I really like both website designs, they look amazing. So simple, it's great.
    I'm not a person who take a look at the website design, similar to Boyuancy, I look at the color schemes.
    I've always designed websites on Photoshop, I might try out to code one some day.

xHysteria.

5. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I've come across forums that have this type of look and I've never liked them. They don't seem to have a lot of activity either. They look okay, but they fail in functionality as a discussion forum.

Forum users are used to a certain richness in features and tools. Those features are important if you want to build a community. It might work for a forum connected to a small niche. You would have to find a way to maintain as much functionality as possible while trying to hide the interface elements so as to maintain the minimalist paradigm. That's a tough task.