I think this is the best showcase of how much a vBulletin license is worth...

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by CM30, Oct 12, 2013.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

On The Admin Zone, people were trying to sell them for about 150 dollars (over 100 dollars less than the retail price), and absolutely no one was interested. Seriously, just watch the 'price' go steadily down in this topic as no one steps up...

http://www.theadminzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105026

Or just watch many other 'vB 5 for sale topics online'. Absolutely everyone selling at near the original price has failed to sell it off, and those that do sell end up going for a fairly sizeable discount to (presumably) the few people on the planet with objectively awful taste. I mean seriously, I've seen them only start to sell at about 130 dollars or so, which is a hell of a lot less than Internet Brands expects people to pay for it.

So yeah, just look at the hilariously failed attempts of people to offload vB 5 licenses if you want to see the true value of this 'software'. Or just to watch the price go down and down and down as no one steps up to purchase.

Big al likes this.
  2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Wonder if it'll be picked up before the $100 mark!

Big al likes this.
  3. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Maybe VB.com will make a section to help their members sell their licenses!.

It could become the busiest thread on the site!

4. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

goblues, Brandon and Big al like this.
  5. Big al

Big al Regular Member

It looks like a mass exodus. I wonder how many VB licenses are actually up for sale now?

Autopilot likes this.
  6. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

And they could charge a percentage of the sale for providing the service LMAO. Sell to customer for $249.00. Charge 50% for service to sell customers license. ROFLMAO

7. Big al

Big al Regular Member

Shhh don't give them any more ideas to make money! :ROFL:

Autopilot likes this.
  8. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Regular Member

This thread is an example of correlation does not equal causation. IPB licenses don't sell well either. Some of the people buying VB licenses on Extra License are offering to trade their XF license in exchange for VB. What does all that mean? You can't draw conclusions for was really is a small overall number of resales considering VB has tens of thousands of licenses sold. VB has always had a fairly sizable resale market compared to others, which is natural considering it's market share.

What the heck does taste have to do with the software? Admin-talk's color scheme has objectively poor taste (though it is well suited to a newborn baby boy's bedroom) but that does not mean the content is objectively poor.

9. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

@Big al LOL I hear yeah. I had contemplated selling mine too but I just don't feel right taking advantage of unsuspecting uninformed buyers. I had even thought about giving them away but nixed that idea for the same reason.

Big al likes this.
  10. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

If that doesn't, the sheer fact no one is actually using vBulletin 5 might be a hint at its quality. And those poor souls who actually did fall for it have generally regretted it.

Seriously, almost all sites using it have either shown a marked drop in activity as a result, haven't caught on to begin with and have a bad experience in general.

And I bet anything that those few licenses that did get sold were bought for the fact vB 5 owners maintain the ability to download vB 3 or 4.

Autopilot and Big al like this.
  11. Bundy

Bundy Admin Talk Staff

I'd take it at $90 lol

12. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Regular Member

Do you have a factual source?

13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Do you have a source of anyone generally happy for the upgrade or switch to vb5?

CM30 likes this.
  14. mysiteguy

mysiteguy Regular Member

Unlike the person I was asking, I am not going to pull opinion about VB out of my back side and present it as fact. I don't have a source for it either way. I don't care for the product myself, can I make stuff up too because it plays to my personal dislike for it?

15. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

I don't think he was making stuff up. If you frequent the vBull forum you will see many posts in the Pre-sales question area that have either gone unanswered or locked. As well there are numerous posts in the customer areas .

16. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Well it is a fact that there are many documented threads of forum switches and users not liking vbulletin 5. The same could be said for other scripts as well.
    I would be interested in seeing if there are actually any public threads on forums who have switched where the members praised vbulletin 5.

Autopilot likes this.
  17. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

There's been a lot of posts here and on various forums that vBulletin 5 isn't all that good and I say that as a vBulletin fan. I've been using the 4.0 series for two years now and I love it. However. I'd actually upgrade to XF before I make the switch to vB 5.

Autopilot and Brandon like this.
  18. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

https://www.google.co.uk/#q="Powered+by+vBulletin™+Version+5.0"

Out of these there are:

vB's official forum, which needs no explanation.

Photoshop User, which has seemingly died out since the upgrade (posts can be days apart now).

Graphics Design Forum, which has member complaints about the software (and calls for a refund in one topic).

Association of Computer Repair Business Owners, which seems to be mostly deserted.

HQ City, which uses the vBulletin 5 copyright on a vBulletin 3 forum...

A discussion ABOUT vBulletin 5 on an Arabic tech forum.

A gaming clan forum called 'Sovereign Reapers'.

A fairly new/empty gaming forum called Heads Up Gaming...

The page after this one has a lot of discussion about zero day security exploits in vBulletin 5 by 'hackers'.

So out of all these results, what do I see? I see a few graphics design forums which seemingly died after the upgrade and have been criticised for it by their users, some very small gaming forums and tech forums that arguably chose the wrong forum script, a support topic about it on a tech forum and a site which is trying to use the vBulletin 5 copyright notice to throw off 'hackers' looking for exploits.

Please show me a forum that's using vBulletin 5 and still thriving. Because there's not one on the first two pages in Google.

Autopilot and Brandon like this.
  19. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  20. Autopilot

Autopilot Regular Member

Perhaps the question

resided in the same place you suspect the opinion was found?? Just asking :whistle: