How's the alpha/beta testing going?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by David, Sep 13, 2009.

1. David

David Regular Member

Did anyone here get in on the alpha or beta testing stages for vBulletin 4? In the early stages of alpha, it was easy to find some limited tweets and ramblings via the net about it, but it's been pretty quiet here lately.

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Other than saying they are on the Alpha team, the testers can't say anything because they're under an NDA.

3. David

David Regular Member

hmmm, are the beta testers under the same NDA also? Or will the general public finally start to see some of the vB4 product at that stage?

4. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If I'm not mistaken, the Beta is going to be more open. Beta testers will be encouraged to invite others to check out their installation, and such.

I'm not sure in the least, but I think that is the case.

5. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

We can't say a whole lot about the specifics of the testing. I can say I've been playing with it a bit lately and I'm getting more comfortable with it. Wayne had posted a couple of articles about the change in syntax in both the templates and the plugins. You can see in those that there are some changes in the way things are done. It is still in alpha testing and I think Ray said that the Suite will soon go into Alpha testing soon also. I'm not sure what that means for the forums - if it will remain in alpha for a bit longer or go into beta testing.

6. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Beta hasn't started and none of the beta testers have been contacted as far as I am aware.

Alpha is going well. Pretty much all I am doing is confirming bugs for fixing and repairing those that I can (usually minor template and phrase issues). Can't really go much further in it though until I get ahold of Alpha 3 to see if it contains some of the updated style changes. Hopefully that come soon with the CMS. With the CMS alpha, I'll be able to start preparing for the upgrade of my existing site as well as see if it will work for another site that I want to work on.

And yes, beta should be more open where can people can take the risk of running in on their live site if they wish.