How often should an admin visit his (or her) forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by moneymakingmom, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Its better letting go then keeping up a dead forum, I would do the same.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  2. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

Daily! If you miss a day you better make it up...Being active lets the community know you're dedicated to your forum and working hard. :P

3. KMRock

KMRock Regular Member

I go on daily (unless major problems). You have to be active and involved in the community :)

4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Good point, and its also called dedication if you put in a lot of threads daily to keep the community alive and pumping. Just being logged in doesn't make you dedicated. Putting in work, engaging in conversations, and creating new threads shows that you're dedicated.

5. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

I try to log on daily, but if there's a chance that I can't get on at all, and there's a lot to do, I'll take an extra day or two to make up for what I missed. Usually it's just posts I miss out on, so it's usually not too terribly bad, but if I'm absent for whatever reasons, I'll try and make up for what I missed up on when I return.

Kaiser likes this.
  6. Bugatti

Bugatti Regular Member

Site staff should visit the site on a daily basis. For smaller sites it should be 2-5 times a week. But it's the Administrators choice how much he/she would like the site staff to be active daily or weekly.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Its best to be on daily as an administrator of an fairly active forum, but sadly I have been to busy to do that since the past 2 weeks and the activity n here on AdminBB has dropped by 50%. So to all of you guys.. its very important as and admin to be active and apart of your community.. it may be hard but you should at least try.

8. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

You don't have a thing to worry about with me, Kaiser. I always try to be on, but I have health problems and stuff as well, and sometimes my schedule can get so air tight that I don't have much time to do anything other than lurk

9. indigowarrior

indigowarrior Regular Member

I always have my website open on a tab so I can make sure nothing is happening with the board. I have a partner, but his knowledge on my niche is very lacking so I am pretty much running 95% of the board myself. I aim to answer every post and topic there is. Obviously I might not be able to keep up with that if my site gets bigger, but right now with only 22 members its quite easy to maintain.

I am on the forum from about 9am-1am somedays. I dont work for personal reason (not by choice), but I have a feeling if I keep working as hard as I am this might turn into a job for me.

10. Austin01

Austin01 Regular Member

I try to visit and post on my forum daily, as being inactive or just visiting everyday will have a negative result later down the road.

11. moneymakingmom

moneymakingmom Regular Member

I miss this site a lot! Lots of great conversations going on.

As for what you were saying about how activity dropped so drastically on your forum without your constant vigilant presence, I know what you mean. Just yesterday, we had a VERY busy day on the forum for most of the day and then a friend of mine showed up and he wanted to take me over to RuneScape for a guided tour. Well, of course, I posted a quick 'goodbye, be back later' thread.' And, when I came back a couple hours later, the forum was literally D-E-A-D. It was like everyone was taking that moment that I left to split. Can't say why. Though I do understand everyone has their own life.

Just trying to say that I think an active admin is the heart of a forum and without their presence, the forum is lacking.

Point in fact, if I login here and you're not on the boards, I usually log out. We all have our favorite people on a forum that we follow. That's just how it is. I'm guessing others feel the same way about seeing you around this site. If you're not here, they're not here either. Probably it has less to do with the fact that you are admin so much as just you are you and that's what everyone is coming here for. Plus, you have a fantastically informative site, lots to learn. But, you can't beat a lively admin for attracting visitors to a forum. When they leave, members have no reason to show up.
    :)

12. indigowarrior

indigowarrior Regular Member

Sorry if I made the forum dead.
    Makes a mental note for when MMM is asleep to fill the board with lots of lovely content :D.

Its interesting on a rival admin forum I am unfortunate to be a member of. I have never actually seen the owner make any post or threads since I have been a member. I know he has a team that actually fills that role, but he should I believe at least make a post once a week or something.

The owner is the lifeblood of the forum. Without them the forum will slowly die.

13. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

Personally I wouldn't have posted a "be back later" thread if I was only going to be gone for a couple hours. That's really pointless imo and look at the harm it caused.

If you're going to be gone for more than two days, then I would post a thread and elect a staff member for spam duty and then go do my business and come back :)

14. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I know what you mean bro. Health problems suck, and keep your time away even though you try your best to be there.

15. Jack

Jack Regular Member

Daily.

16. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    why would you say daily?

17. kavin

kavin Regular Member

Because you won't even know whether your site is live or not. Seriously, it shows whether an admin is active or not.

18. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

I only post a "Be back later" thread if I know I'm going to be gone for a day or two, or even longer. When I went to Bible Camp last month, I did make it clear that I would be gone for at least a week. Not much to make up when I returned that Friday. However, it is better to leave a note if your going to be gone more than a day. Just a measly two hours wouldn't be worth it.

Ashley.S. likes this.
  19. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    I agree but I don't think it would concern members if you went away on holiday though as announcing your gone could cause trouble...

20. Ashley

Ashley Regular Member

Well, you make a valid point there. And as you know, I'm not likely to make an announcement about it anyway, even if I just say some personal things have come up. Usually I'll just say something about it in the staff room (to you guys, mostly) that I'm gonna be out and that's about it. But even in the staff room I don't normally say anything unless I'm gone for more than a day. And you know that if it's an unexpected absence, I do try to provide with an explanation as to why I had to leave so suddenly, but I never post in the announcement section. I've seen people do this on other forums before, and I personally don't like the idea of it, because as you said, loads of drama can come up in a matter of minutes almost as soon as the announcements posted.