How many women here is working in an IT businesses

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by pixelek, Oct 27, 2013.

1. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

As above - I just wonder. Its still not very popular profession for us (women). As of my colleagues from HR report, more and more women asks for employment (for the positions which require direct access to hardware as servers etc) with us. But - many of them gets rejected due to lack in IT education. So far, I am the only one woman with direct access to all hardware in our DC. All other employees with access to our DC are man.

What about here - how many women from IT biz are registered here ?

Brandon likes this.
  2. Big al

Big al Regular Member

A good question. There needs to be more ladies in these positions.

3. Chris Teriakis

Chris Teriakis Regular Member

Be cautious when you meet webmistresses on the net. Some of them are men appearing as women. I was one of them for 3 years :evillaugh:. Sorry but I had no other choice. I was unable to operate my online business on my name so I was using my sister's in law details.

I missed those days...... so many donations !!!

4. BoostN

BoostN Regular Member

I agree. My office is lacking this... I would come to work more often... :D

5. valdet

valdet Regular Member

Hahaa. I remember few years back, thinking what happened to Maria from vb.org who had some nice hacks.
    Then it turned to MicroHellas and another greek username was used e-steki or similar.
    :cool:

Chris Teriakis likes this.
  6. Chris Teriakis

...lol.......... You really remember it neighbor but half. Maria didn't turned to MicroHellas. Maria was MicroHellas. After all, yes it to turned to something else. Actually she turned to ....my username. I was that famous Maria...
    :evillaugh:

As for e-steki has nothing todo with this. But she is also Greek.

7. valdet

valdet Regular Member

Yes I was referring to how the username changed over time.

I also remember few heated arguments with peterska over some of your product files for security checks :P

8. Chris Teriakis

Was Calorie and not Petreska. But you've good memory :). Was the time when she asked me $200 for each file to check my vbClubs for security issues. So I had to pay $200 x 44 files = $8,800 to release a mod for free there. Interesting !. Even Marco when he read her quote said: "I'm also getting enough money for such work, but never thought to ask $200 per file".

9. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

At no time I was pretending to be someone else. And its illegal to do that. Unless you are under witness protection scheme or sth.....

10. Chris Teriakis

As long as the person that I was pretending is a real person, I had her written permission todo it, and (most important in my country) I was paying taxes for that job nothing is illegal. Actually that was the reason that I decided to do it. Working as public servant I had no authority to have income from any other job (real or online), so I had to decide if I'll work on my name keeping that income hidden (without paying any tax, something very easy), or I'll work legally (in the mean of paying taxes) on someone's else name.

When I got retired, I started working on my name. At the end point. Illegal is not what I did. Illegal was all that emails that I was receiving "Send me some ....photos and I'll donate a big amount to you, or I'll buy all your scripts". etc etc.

11. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

You did not expressed yourself clear enough - what was the reason you pretended to be your sister-in-law?

12. Chris Teriakis

Don't know how the laws are in other countries, but in Greece people working as employees in any Govement department (eg teachers in Education, Officers in Army etc etc) are not allowed to work (legally) having any other job. I was working at Olympic Airways which was belonging to Greek goverment, so I had this restriction. At that time I had to choose between:
    1. Working illegally on my name. Easy as nobody at that time (even now) monitors money coming from PayPal. Actually nobody checks incoming money. They focus on the outgoing money. This possibility except that it was very easy had one more advantage. As the income was hidden I had no obligation to pay taxes (28% Tax and 10% social insurance = 38%).
    2. To work on the name of someone's else who was trustfull person (will not gets my money and runs) and also without job. This is because Tax percentage is calculating according to the yearly basis, so if that person had already an income my money should increase it a lot and most probably he/she had to pay more taxes (up to 50%).
    That's was all the story. When I went retired from Olympic Airways and I had the legal right to work in any job, I started working on my name.

Chris
    PS: But if you mean why I was pretented Maria, this is because I was scared that someone can report it to authorities. Not even my closer friends in life knew it. In Greece we use to say: "One knows.... everybody knows".

13. pixelek

pixelek Regular Member

now I see it :)