How many mods do you have installed on your site(s)?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by ArnyVee, Jun 4, 2009.

1. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I just went down my list of mods and noticed that I have over 60 mods / hacks installed on my http://www.waltdisneyboards.com site! :eek:

I got so "hack happy" or suffered from "mod mania" early on in my site development. So, I've even gone with the add-a-mod / eliminate-a-mod mentality to try and keep it low, but then I see something that would add value to the site and add it. :)

How many mods does everyone else have out there?

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I actually have a grand total of one modification/plug-in installed. :D

3. Havok

Havok Regular Member

Dang, 60 mods :O

I don't even think I have any mods installed on my forum yet.

4. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I remember that I used to have 24 modifications on my forum at one point. I thought this was a lot. AdminAddict, from the top of my head, has about that.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Arny, don't feel bad. A little while ago, my Linnie forum was experiencing speed issues and my host thought it could be modifications. I was told to see how many modifications I have installed. I checked... and I had over 75 of them! :eek:

This was the accumulation of a year of going mod-happy like you said you do. I install any and every mod I like that I think I'd have a use for. After cleaning up, I was able to downsize to about 50. Not that big of an improvement - but I only kept what I use - and that's a lot. :p

6. Snobothehobo

Snobothehobo Regular Member

I have only mods that are essential (in my opinion) to my community. I have maybe ten at the most.

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

define 'mod'. Template / color changes count?

I've got 2 plugins from vb.org at the moment. I like to keep things simple.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I wouldn't count template changes because there is no way to know how many we've implemented (unless you are manually keeping track somewhere).

9. kev

kev Regular Member

AT one time I had about 25 modifications installed. But I think its down to about 10 - 15 right now.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm probably around the 25 mod mark. I'm afraid to check :)

11. Chris

Chris Regular Member

:speachless:

12. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    Sometimes you can't resist one when you see it... and then it begins to add up. :p

13. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Exactly; that's my problem. :lol:

14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

That's what happens to me...so many look great and add a funtionality to the site which, I think, is completely necessary :)

I'm going to try and clean things up a bit this weekend to bring it to the 50 mod range.

Baby steps :D

15. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I currently have 13 products installed in vBCodex. These include 94 plugins, 33 template edits, 288 lines of CSS code, and 1 file edit (probably going to be replaced by 2 plugins this weekend). I don't even know how many phrases, setting options or bitfields have been added. These numbers will probably increase this weekend.

Its really not the number of modifications that you make. Its how you make them and their craftsmanship more than anything that adds resources. If there are queries in loops, unnecessary AJAX calls, improperly built queries and other resource draining faults than you have problems.

16. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I think something like that, Wayne, is good for you and your forum. It'll feel more personal and like your "baby" when you've customized it to that extent. You'll feel more proud of your work.

17. torque

torque Regular Member

I run an Australian based Sports Website and therefore have a couple ones that I have installed - I don't know if you could vBlog as an addon despite it being an official addon but currently (counting it) I have installed 34.

That includes template edits to make the forums look better etc, we have things from credits to betting to arcade and so on just mainly stuff to keep sport fans from all around the globe happy and entertained.

18. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    How many can a site hold :devil:

19. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

Wayne, someday I'm going to have to have you take a look at my site and see if you can help me clean things up. I know that I have lots of xhtml (have cut it down to half, but still need help) errors and probably some query and other issues as well. :)

I agree though...so many mods are not compliant and since I'm not a coder, I can't really figure most of the things out to fix them. One of the requirements for vB.org should be that the mods are compliant or have someone fix them before they are shared with the communities. :D

20. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

So far I haven't had any real problems with having so many mods; I don't notice any significant slowdowns or conflicts.