How do you "treat" guests?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've seen many different configurations of guest permissions and restrictions on various forums, and I thought it'd be interesting to hear what kind of setup you have.

Do you only leave certain sections, categories or sub-forums available to guests, and the rest restricted to members? Do you only allow guests to view thread titles or the first post of threads? Is there a limit on how many threads a guest can view before having to register? Do you allow guests to search, or is registration required?

2. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    on one forum guests cant see anything, mainly cause of members of our competitors forum being a little too nosey, but on the other two guests can see the threads and posts of most of the sections

3. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Guests can see the topics and posts of most sections, see the gallery and album sections, see what games are in the arcade and see any blog content. They cannot however post or use any of those features without becoming a member.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I let guest see everything and give them as much as possible. (no posting)
    There are some sections that guest can't see, but there are staff sections that the regular members don't see as well ;)

5. Desu

Desu Addict

I allow guest to see all of my topics, however they cannot view downloads (A template shows up, requesting that they join).

The only forums I restrict, are ones that are available to premium members only.

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Were the same as Brandon ourselves although we hide some content to guests like our announcements and intro forums.

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Same here. I also allow the spiders to crawl my community.(can't go with search engine traffic).:)