How do you market yourself on Social Media sites?

Discussion in 'Water Cooler' started by Brandon, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Hello everyone,

Are you on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn? if not, you should be or your competitor will be ;)
    Here is an article I posted over at vBCodex on Using Social Media to Strengthen my Community
    It outlines ways I use Twitter & vBulletin, but the same could be said for other Social Networking sites, other forum scripts or blogs as far as that goes.
    Let me know if you have any questions.

2. kev

kev Regular Member

Twitter - No
    Facebook - Yes
    Linkindin - what is that?

--------------

Twitter - For the types of promotion that I do, twitter does not fit in. The only thing that I would do is setup an RSS feed from my youtube account to post to my twitter when I launch a new video. Microblogging is not my thing.

Facebook - My facebook and my youtube accounts are linked. When I post a new youtube video, its automatically posted to my facebook account.

Microblogging does not fit the scope or magnitude with what I am doing. I spent about 4 - 5 hours yesterday writing an article for my blog. Last friday I spent 4 hours filming videos and taking pictures.

LinkedIn - I need to take a look at that.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    What topics are you trying to promote? I'm willing to bet I can find individuals talking about whatever niche you're into :)

LinkedIn is knows as the Professionals Social Network
    I was able to find several jobs via LinkedIn when I was working from home. We've also been able to find some great guest speakers for our local Advertising clubs via LinkedIn.

4. kev

kev Regular Member

I bet you can find all kinds of people in my niche. Unless I can post pictures, videos, reviews,,,, stuff like that, I'am not really interested. That is why I like facebook. It has a picture gallery, I can upload videos, I can connect my youtube account with my facebook to stream my videos,,,,, its very flexible. Twitter is just "there".

Its like when I joined Break.com. On the first weekend I joined, I uploaded 1.2 gigs of my videos. The next monday I got an email saying not to be uploading that much data that fast. I replied back and told them to add that to the agreement when people register.

I need a place where I can upload stuff and where people can find my content.

5. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I understand where your coming from but lets just look at this a little closer.
    You can always post links to your youtube videos just like ant other social network but with Twitter you get a bonus.
    You get live search, meaning you can see what ppl are talking about right now.
    Like take photography as an example.
    You can search twitter like this
    photography - Twitter Search
    and see if anyone is talking about photography or has questions about it.
    In the time it took me to search photography, post the link and finish this post, there are already 10 more updates.
    It's really allowed me to reach out and help/connect with others looking for the same type of stuff I am.

6. kev

kev Regular Member

If anything I might link my twitter account and my youtube account. That way when I post a video, my twitter account will be updated - and I do not have to actually do anything..

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    better then nothing :)
    a tool I used for months is Ping.fm / Update all of your social networks at once!
    it allows you to update one spot and it'll update all your social networks for you.
    ps.. there are also sites like that for video that you upload one spot and it'll upload it to 20 or so other video sites. I'll try to find the link, I think you would really like it considering the amount of videos you publish ;)

here it is
    TubeMogul.com | In-Depth Tracking, Analytics for Online Video | Web Video Syndication