How do you get members to join your forum?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Kaiser, May 18, 2011.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

So what are some methods that you use to get members interested in your forum, and eventually have them join up?

2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I don't use any methods. :P I just post threads, and reply to current threads. We have more ads for guests, so we tell them to join up if they don't want to see the ads anymore, and they do. Then we have a message that's global for new users, that encourages them to post, and such.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

As in methods, I meant what you do to get them to join. Posting threads is an example of a method..

4. Craig

Craig Regular Member

This is the question of the century for me. I have been unsuccessful in getting people join any of my sites. I am always looking for any suggestions people may have.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well I see you have 3 forums, and thats quite alot, my suggestion would be to get rid of any 2 as all of them are inactive and focus on one that is most important to you. It will help..

moneymakingmom likes this.
  6. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I also have links on various sites' footers, and that seems to drive in members sometimes - its called free promotion, and I also use signature advertising to advertise - I'm not sure how many members it drives in though, I never tracked it.

7. Craig

Craig Regular Member

All of them are less than a year old. They all deal with separate topics. However, the Childhood Cancer Forums.com is my labor of love.

Kaiser likes this.
  8. Fiona1964

Fiona1964 Regular Member

Sig works post exchanges help if they are willing to be active for active
    I don`t do the 5 for 5 ect once I find active for active is better for both parties
    and advertise on as many forum as you can and make you advert look good

Kaiser likes this.
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea signatures are always the best free way, and post exchanges does help when you start off and eventually over time you will gain active members.

10. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

They're also good for backlinks - so if you're apart of a few forums, make sure you utilize the signature feature, and also the homepage section. You never know who may come across your signature, or profile.

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Yea, its actually the best method for backlinks.

12. Trealix

Trealix Gamer

I have many methods with having forums you need formers on your contact list on Msn/Aim/BBM/whatever and you just spam your msn and offer a great deal e.g. first 10 gets free 1 week VIP.

Another method is make sure its all over the net, use google for advantages and bing aswell, also Promotional forums make a difference if you want to get loads of members from there to be active

One last method is using a system simular to Postloop where you can get points for posting for other forums (If make sense im kind of rushing this because of coursework).

13. Queen of Ice

Queen of Ice Regular Member

I generally have links to the forum in my signature, and I advertise on other RP sites. I've also got a small pitch on my chatango account, which I use the chat client itself on the portal so I am online a lot and people can see the info on my profile when I am.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Good to know, and you might want to add your site to your signature here on AdminBB ;)

15. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Have you ever tried paid advertising or anything to attract members? I know project wonderful is pretty cheap, and can drive members to your community. Depending on how well designed your banner ad is. I haven't tried it, but my friends have and they've told me nothin but good words about it.

16. Queen of Ice

Queen of Ice Regular Member

I've never tried paid advertising. To be honest, I can't really afford it. I only make something like 100 a week and I need it for "real life" expenditures... :(

Kaiser likes this.
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Paid advertising does help, but there are much better ways to advertise for free, money is just a small factor in promotion, and is not needed if you can do it right.

18. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, you can buy ads with Project wonderful. It's cheaper than facebook/google ads usually, and is very targetted. It all depends though on your budget and how much money you have for ads because Project wonderful is good for attracting people that have never heard about your forum before, but you need some link back banners/buttons to use the service, but its quite good.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Did you get any members from it?

20. John15

John15 Regular Member

The best way for me is having good content on my forum, as that attracts members.

Kaiser likes this.