How do we bring forums into the 21st Century?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Dan Hutter, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

It seems most of the forums I visit these days (including my own) are just limping along with a smathering of loyal users and not a whole lot of fresh meat.

What do we as forums owners have to do to attract to days teenagers and young 20 somethings to forums?

Brandon likes this.
  2. echo_unlimited

echo_unlimited Professional Procrastinator

• Advertise on Facebook/Twitter/Social media (i.e. Facebook pages/Twitter hashtags)
    • Use PostLoop. (So the forum looks at least somewhat active)
    • Provide good content.
    • Stay active on your own forum
    • Make sure your forum looks relevant
    • Help on other forums and try to get those admins to help you.
    • Find how your competitors are gaining users/visitors.
    • Find niches which aren't that competitive (Very hard; especially in-light of Reddit)
    • Try to be unique.
    That's all I have for now. But the major thing is DRIVING traffic to your sites. That's what it comes down to in the end and when everyone is trying to do that then it becomes bloody difficult!

Dan Hutter, Brandon and 2dub like this.
  3. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

I think we're going to have to offer more than just a forum. Depending on your niche you will need to offer something the others don't.

I also think forums will have to take on some more characteristics of social media.

Dan Hutter and echo_unlimited like this.
  4. mVd

mVd Regular Member

I agee with the people here. Since social networking has exploded in the last few years, adapting to that is crucial to the survival and growth of your forum or website.

5. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Website Consultant, Developer and Strategist

Look at the topics we have. Most of them are in some niche and that is the paradox. The teens of today need a variety and spice. So before using any external means to get and drive in the traffic, I having a forum which is diverse in content would be a better way to clean and start from home. What I mean to say is, if the niche of the forum is diverse, there are higher chances of someone finding it of use and that usage would be crucial in retaining the member.

Stuff like those mentioned above can only get us temporary visitors/members. They would soon get bored and hop on to places which are more interesting.

6. Jura

Jura Regular Member

Putting away ego, not creating idiotic rules, and focusing on what forums do best (discussion) could work. You know like making things easier to discuss without having features or senseless bureaucracy get in the way.

Big al and Brandon like this.
  7. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I think it would help to have more multimedia content based around news within the forum's niche. The news items could be linked to a thread already started for discussing the news item.

This would keep the forum from appearing dead or detached from current events. If done well enough, the forum site might make a good homepage. BTW, I'm not thinking of a portal site.