How Did You Find Alien Soup?

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by rosebud, Feb 8, 2007.

1. rosebud

rosebud Regular Member

Tell us how you found this site?

I found this site while looking up information about Aliens. At first I looked around for a bit before I became a member. I only belong to a few sites on the net, and this one is one of my favorites. I have been a member here for two years or am I going on three? Hummm will have to look that up.

2. Panache

Panache Regular Member

I stumbled across this site, when on Google loooking for some forums to check out. The name Alien Soup grabbed my attention right away, so I clicked the link and checked it out. I thought the website was great, and the members here seemed cool. Within minutes, I joined up, and it all ensues from there. I've been a member here since October of 2002, which makes about 4 1/2 years or so.

3. monsieurjohn

monsieurjohn Regular Member

I was working at a small computer company after my junior year in high school, in summer 2000. A couple guys there were talking about getting free t-shirts and stuff from web sites, and I asked where and they said "alien soup." The one guy knew Alien from previous internet dealings. He was the third or fourth member here, but he's not around anymore.

"Alien suit?" I asked, thinking perhaps it was some kind of free-clothing web site.

"No, soup."

I took a mental note and checked it out when I got home. At the time we had a "hot deals" forum where people posted free stuff from the net (web sites have since learned better than to give things away, so hot deals became largely defunct). I signed up with a username I used for a lot of stuff at the time (I was taking french in high school), monsieurjohn.

After a while I poked my head into a couple other forums, and the rest is history. Strange how if they hadn't had that conversation in my presence or I hadn't taken a good mental note, I might never have gotten here!

4. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

I was part of the mass exodus from the AnandTech Hot Deals fiasco of 2000.
    IIRC, they decided that because of a couple of users who were causing problems, they decided to start blocking, en masse, entire domains like aol.com, and a couple of others.

A lot of us found the moderation of their forums excessively heavy-handed by immature moderators who simply decided they liked to abuse the power bestowed upon them. They wouldn't listen to input from the user community, and really initiated a large-scale revolt against the staff. What eventually happened is that a lot of users started to seek out other forums and communities to reconvene in, and Alien happened to post that his new community was now accepting new member registration.

I signed on, liked the few people who got there before me, and I've been here ever since.

5. rosebud

rosebud Regular Member

So when you signed on Diesel did you ask to be a moderator right away? How about you John or spidey?

You know me. I'm always asking questions. :ut-oh:

6. mthrlangl

mthrlangl Regular Member

I found it through my ex-boyfriend. Once we broke up, I stayed with the Soup, and he went off ..somewhere.

7. lobo

lobo Guest

ANANDTECH

8. spidergoolash

spidergoolash Regular Member

yeah, awien asked me to moderate right away, within a few weeks. i believe i followed a link from anandtech over to here and so glad i did :) i love this place.

9. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

No, I actually didn't ask to be a mod (I kinda find the idea of *asking* to be a mod a bit tacky). I think I was a regular user for about a year (maybe less... don't remember) or so before I was approached with the idea, at which point I volunteered to help moderate certain technical forums.

After a couple of years, Alien asked me if I'd be interested in helping him admin the site, and been doing that ever since.

10. spidergoolash

spidergoolash Regular Member

hrm. i thought it was after a couple of weeks when he asked us. damn, now i honestly can't remember.

11. rosebud

rosebud Regular Member

Thats awesome thanks for the info....:hug2:

12. rosebud

rosebud Regular Member

I looked up anandtech is it a link that sold Aliens items? Like his t-shirts and other Alien things that brought you here?

13. Diesel

Diesel Regular Member

No, AnandTech is a very technical computing website that's a great resource for folks interested in the hardware nitty-gritty of computers. They cater to the serious enthusiast on subjects like overclocking, etc.

The big draw back then was their Hot Deals forum, which was basically a place to find out about the latest and greatest deals (keep in mind, this was before dedicated websites like BensBargains, GotApex, etc. became a more organized, condensed way to find deals) on things ranging from computer hardware to DVDs to free pens and razors, among other things.

http://www.anandtech.com/

14. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Regular Member

I was bored at work and went looking around for new forums to kill time on. I went to Vbulletin.com and linked to here.

15. The Ox

The Ox Regular Member

I started off as a guest for about ... a few weeks before I took the next step, which is to signup. Then, I started to read threads and reply when I have an answer.

16. rosebud

rosebud Regular Member

Thank you Diesel for that bit of information. :hug2:

VIDEODROME and The Ox how do you like Alien Soup so far? Its a pretty cool place to come to isn't it?

17. The Ox

The Ox Regular Member

I grasp abit of that feeling but not totally. This place is full of warmth but in the core, it is silence. However, this can be improved. TAG: Zoints

18. Elmo

Elmo Regular Member

I found the site through John Schwegel's when I was looking for someone to do some graphics design for me.

19. SwissSmiss

SwissSmiss Regular Member

my sister, meezer, got me started on it. i've been here off and on. trying to work back to an 'on' phase :)

20. Guest

Guest Guest

Spidey!