How attached are you to your forum?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Do you truly have passion for your communities or are they more like business ventures with little personal attachment? I guess the real question is, are you so attached that you would never sell your forum(s)? I surely am. :)

2. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We would never sell our teen forum for certain, not ever. We plan on passing it onto our son when he is old enough to use vbulletin that is of course if he has interest in it when he is older and is able to administrate it well. I wouldnt say I am as attached as I once was, I think there is a time for admins to take a step back and stop posting as much on their own forum and deal with other aspects of their forums like the back end, members queries etc I prefer being in the background a little more now rather than becoming as involved with members, I dont know why but at my age when posting on a teen forum there isnt much you can reply back to that is of real interest other than advice threads and even then admins answering advice threads on a teen forum can seem odd to the members.

3. p4guru

p4guru Addict

Personal attachments - sentimental that way :D

Back in 2002 had off of US$350k in shares for one of my forums which I declined. Luckily, as dotcom bubble and such it those shares would of been worthless haha

Passion is still there after 9yrs of using vBulletin for my forums so yup = very attached HAHA

4. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

My passion = no business = no sell.

(.)

5. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Everybody (well, I do at least) has their price.

I have regretted selling other physicall items that I've made in my past, but I also remember that I made them to sell them.

I'm not making forums or sites to sell, but if I were offered enough money, oh, yeah...another forum or site can be made to replace the first. ;)

6. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    nooooooooo i could never sell my forums!!!! i love them too much!!!

7. boatswife

boatswife Regular Member

It's my passion. I could never sell it.

8. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    For those who say you could never sell, would your opinion change if you could remain on the staff, either as a co-admin or moderator?

I do understand with some of you who have forums that focus on something very close to your heart, I really do, but com'on...there has to be a number lurking in there that you would be tempted....

9. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I think the majority would shamefully sell out if they were to become a millionaire :D

10. Nick

Nick Regular Member

If I could remain a co-admin, then it might sway my opinion. I'd at least like to ensure that the site remains successful and that my members don't get screwed over. My goal is to provide a resource for them, and I would do everything I can to protect that.

I wonder if the buyer would agree that certain elements must remain intact, etc. and would sign a contract. :shrug: :confused:

Anything lower than $30,000 doesn't interest me. Add another $30,000 per year of the site's existence, and you have your magic number. :D

11. Tex

Tex Adept

First Name:
    Blake
    When you take a vacation and you can't wait to check up on your site at the internet cafe = Way too attached. That has me written all over it. :lol:

I only have one real successful site and it's topic is something I am personally interested in and actively participate in. I don't see myself selling it, but I have to believe there will come a day when I may not have the time or desire to work on it like I have from the beginning. In that case I may take an extended leave of absence, but I just don't see myself leaving it totally.

12. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    My point exactly. ;)

If your forum is based on a cause that is close to your heart, just imagine what you could do with a million! However unlikely that would be.

You could quit your f/t job and actively pursue promoting your cause without worrying if your bills would be paid or not.

Also, if it's a cause, no offence, but why does it have to be YOU that admins it? If you could remain a member (if not staff), you could promote what you are doing in the real world on that forum. Let a like-minded buyer take care of the headaches of running the forum. :)

I know the above situation is as likely as you personally visiting the moon for most people, but...everyone has their price. :)

13. p4guru

p4guru Addict

True @$2+ million maybe :D

14. kneel

kneel Regular Member

i love my toyota forum and even tho its not mine, i still admin, i love my mystery disctict!!!!