How active should an admin be...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Nick, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

... on his or her own forum? In the beginning, they are obviously going to be very active, but once the board is running on its own, does it make somebody a "bad admin" if they don't participate as a part of the community, actively posting in threads and such?

2. hockeystar165

hockeystar165 Newcomer

As long as the admin still posts once or twice a day they should be good but the admin should still look over the site and help with anything that needs help in the forum

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

By "once or twice a day", are you referring to them making one or two posts?

4. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Well, from my experiences being active is pretty much everything. An inactive admin discourages the members to participate on daily forum activities therefore abandoning the forums ultimately.

An administrator has to be active enough for all the users to know him/her.

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

They need to see that you're there at least once a day, otherwise they think if you don't find the place interesting, why should they?

6. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

Bingo on both posts. While I have slowed down from making replies to virtually everything just to keep the energy up I make sure I am active. I think (and I hope not to seem too egotistical) that many people come to interact with me and get my and my staff's input.

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

When your forums new I think admins should create lots of new topics but after a while you do run out and it is up to the members to create them more or less. It becomes a very big problem though when they only expect you to post threads for them to reply too :D or at least it can feel like that at times :)

8. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I think they should be active enough to make sure the forum remains the way it was before they started to get "less active" (because the forum started to take off).

9. Sick

Sick Newcomer

First Name:
    Sam
    Honestly, admins can't take a break now and then but they get busy with behind the scenes once the forum is up and running on its own, they don't have the time to actively post on the forums. Sometimes they have adverts up which makes them money so then they seem to just forget about their site and let it go while they rake in the dough and sit back to enjoy the benefits.

10. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Oh, if only it worked that way :) Sure, the user generated content part is nice, but you still have to convince them to generate that content.

11. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Yes, and inactive admin let's people down, therefore abandoning the site.

12. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

*headscratch*

I mean, I can try, but at some point, when six people or more are being accepted into Elliquiy each day, I need to let that slide a bit.

Plus it's rather exciting to meet new people on my own forum "How long have you been here?" "A few months, Vek :)"

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

"Active Enough so your members know you" Doesn't mean daily logins.

14. David

David Regular Member

I think it does. Building and maintaining a good active community requires active admins.

Communities I belong to where the Admins are active are a lot better, healthier and have more contributing members than communities where you can tell the admin only stops by long enough to check earnings or whatever.

15. Coastercraze

Coastercraze Regular Member

An admin should be active and at least pop in once a day if possible to ensure things are still smooth and up. Take Digital Point's admin for example, his forums are so big that there are problems nonstop! Let your forums go for too long and they'll end up having problems too. Somebody has to be there to make sure nothing big happens and if something does to correct it.

16. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    People should know who they are and that they're around often.

17. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Do you feel that an administrator (or, administrators) should make a certain amount of posts on a daily basis in order to maintain such an "image"?

18. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I don't think it's necessary to make a certain number of posts (at least not once the place gets going) but I do think you need to weigh in on the important threads. Quality becomes more important than quantity at this point.

19. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Well said, and agreed. :)