Holiday versions of your templates?

Discussion in 'Skinning, Design and Graphics' started by Soliloquy, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I like to make little changes to my standard to reflect major holidays; it can be as simple as putting snow on your logo or redoing the template in holiday colors. I even have a template with everything backwards for April Fool's Day. Do you mix it up for the major holidays on your forum?

2. Havok

Havok Regular Member

I love to get holiday templates, Instead of adding a new logo, I usually just get a whole new skin. Whether it is free or paid, it will hopefully impress the members. Then you can use the same template the next year!

One of my favorite templates to use is a Birthday template for your forums Anniversary. It's always great to get your members feedback on it :D

3. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

Makes me wonder if the old 3.5 holiday style plugin for vBulletin still works. I can't think why it wouldn't though. I'll have to test it out this week.

Oh here is the addon: Holiday/Event/Birthday Style Manager - vBulletin.org Forum

Would make a nice touch to a community site. That addon would make the issue pretty much maintenance free.

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've never seen a birthday template, Havoc; is it for vB? Got a link?

Wayne Luke, I don't know if that plugin still works, but I bet that would look nice with Seasonal Forum Effects. :)

5. Tom

Tom Regular Member

We do not have Holiday templates for either sites.

Though, I do believe Nei and I talked about it once before.

Maybe we'll have one for Independence Day and such other holidays.

Making a Christmas skin may be offensive to some. Some don't celebrate Christmas, but prefer Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc. I don't know, maybe it would be possible to make skins for all the different holidays; or, they can stick with the default/skin of their preference.

6. Nick

Nick Regular Member

The only holiday theme I've ever put up is a Halloween one, and the members loved it. I never got around to getting a nice one for the holidays. Maybe this year. :)

If it's offensive, then they don't use it - it's as simple as that. I'm not going to not let my Christmas-celebrating users enjoy a Christmas theme just because I'm not offering the same thing to members with differing beliefs.

7. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

I don't celebrate any of those so would probably just have a Winter theme myself. However if I went to a site and they had a theme dedicated to one of those holidays than I would not be offended. I am stepping into someone elses "house" and I should respect their traditions and wishes when I do so.

Spending a year working with the Antelope Valley Human Relations Task Force and the Antelope Valley Interfaith Council taught me a lot about tolerance.

8. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Great point. I kind of said the same thing. :)

Another great point.

I also like the general idea of just a winter theme, that sounds better.

In fact, seasonal themes sound cool.

Hmm, that has me thinking. ;)

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I don't force the holiday themes on users; they can still use the default. :)

10. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Exactly.

11. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

12. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I don't change the forum theme, but I do make different header images for different holidays. Like on my RHM site, I'll probably add a santa hat to Rushing Ralph for Christmas. Probably put some fireworks behind him for New Years, place a set of red lips on his cheek for Valentines, etc.

I'm sure you get my drift. :)

13. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I usually change the logo and/or header image to fit the holiday being celebrated. :)

14. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

When Christmas and Holloween come around, my anime never fails me ;)

I would make templates celebrating the holidays, yes. It's fun and very inviting.