Hiding links for guest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by JamesV, Nov 30, 2009.

1. JamesV

JamesV Newcomer

Hey, have you ever tried this mod? I have one fairly new forum and this weekend there were around 140 new visitors and not one of them signed up, although the average time on the site was around 10 minutes.

That made me think about turning on this link hiding mod - since a lot of content is linked, but I thought I'd ask first if you have experience with it. Do you think it's as off putting as limiting thread views or this is bearable ?

Edit: Oh, and one more thing, this is a great forum btw! :D

2. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Oh I hate that modification personally. If I see it on a forum I don't register, unless the discussion which includes that link that I can't see is interesting, I'd only register to see the link and then buh byes.

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    It seems it's really only used on warez sites IMHO
    I don't like it either

4. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

Never really liked this mod, and it looks so blatantly like artificially trying to boost forum sign ups, it's ridiculous. Sorry, but showing 'you must be registered to view links' where a link would be does not equal good idea.

5. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I don't like it or the image hack. It's annoying and I will completely ignore any site that has it. I'm not going to join your site just to see a link or a picture, sometimes the search function. I can use Google to search your forum. :P

6. JamesV

JamesV Newcomer

Thanks for your inputs guys ;)

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree with the others: this is one of those unnecessary restrictions that doesn't work. Just like the "thread view limit" for guests, and "view the first post only for guests", etc. They don't work, and they hurt your conversion rates more than they help, most likely.

8. kneel

kneel Regular Member

i almost installed that hack, but now i comletely hate it...and agree with the others. If a site stops me from browing after 10 clicks or whatever....thats it...im done.... I know whether or not i wanna sign up in the first few clicks anyways...i dont need a hack to "push me" into it.. ;-)