Have you ever split your a board off?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Dan Hutter, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Currently I have a private lounge on one of my boards. It hasn't been very active but it's just a few guys BSing, trading pics, etc. I was going to just close and delete it but now I'm thinking of splitting it off onto an invite only board on one of my unused domains with a vB 3.8 for now.

My trouble is potential backlash by members of the other board for having an exclusive club but it's like a brotherhood down there and I'd rather not lose that.

2. Marc

Marc Checkmate - Game Over

What's the reason for this? I'm guessing it's because of the highlighted text from the quote above.
    Anyway, if it's really inactive, what's the point of splitting it from your forum to another domain and vB forum?

You should get opinions from your members and see what might work best for them, ;) ( as you said, if they enjoyed it, then taking it away might do more harm than good for your forum )

Big Dan likes this.
  3. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    Yes I have and with great success.

I had a visual basic programming forum that was extremely active. When .Net was first released we got a lot of .Net discussions. Instead of creating new forums for them I created a new site.

On that same site the general discussion was getting a lot of activity. I decided to create a new site for them also and linked the general discussions to the new site.

In both instances the new sites did extremely well and the off topic offshoot was a big board within a year. I sold all 3 sites a few years back. The off topic forum getting the highest price.

Big Dan likes this.
  4. DarkGizmo

DarkGizmo Mr. Awesome

I've done the opposite. I ran a couple of smaller forums separately and it got to the point where it was a bit of a hassle to keep up with all of them so I merged them all into one and thats how we came up with Revillution. :) Seems to have worked quite well though!

Big Dan likes this.
  5. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

The board is completely off topic and so far secret from a majority of the members. It's probably not something that should be associated with my main forum. It's just a man cave of sorts boobie pics and stuff like that.