Have you ever ran a forum contest?

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Darthmaul, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Darthmaul

Darthmaul Regular Member

Do you use contests as a way to whip up activity and interest in your forum is seemingly dead or inactive?

2. moneymakingmom

moneymakingmom Regular Member

I haven't used contests YET. And, of course, YET is the keyword here. I'm in beta over an upcoming forum and will certainly consider the contest option for that site when it goes live.

Just recently, I went to another forum where they were offering a contest for cash (Paypal) for most quality posts made during a specified time.

Ever since then, I can't get the idea out of my head.

I don't see any problems with contests on a forum, just so long as you set high quality standards for discussions and responses.

Kaiser and Darthmaul like this.
  3. Darthmaul

Darthmaul Regular Member

Great post right there, and so true. I think that as long as you have the memberbase, and good enough restrictions or guidelines, you can have an awesome contest!

4. gallitin

gallitin Regular Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    I have only ran one so far and that was $100 to the person that made the 10,000th post on mine. But again like above, only for people that were posting quality content.

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

I agree, having contests can add a big boost to any forum, just remember that things will return back to normal after its over. And always one thing people should do is as you mentioned have strict guidelines set or people wont make quality posts and take advantage of it.

6. Se7eN

Se7eN Regular Member

Contests are a great way to get some activity. I always do one or two when I start a forum. However, I don't usually do post contests as that can bring up some spam.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Well not really if you have guidelines set for whatever contest you have. When we had the first contest, it was a posting contest and there was no spam because I specified very clearly what members can do and can't do.

8. Shortie861

Shortie861 Regular Member

With a forum I ran a few years ago I ran a few contests to boost activity which I am pleased to say worked a treat :) however with the forum I have now I haven't as of yet hosted any contests.

9. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

I plan to host one soon, however I'm not real sure about what the prize will be. $20 is my budget, and it seems too little to give by itself, so I'm considering getting a Minecraft gift code or something.

The contest will go by a points system, which means your points are automatically increased per thread or post you make, with new threads giving you more points than posts. Long posts above 80 characters will also give you a certain value of points per character as well, to help promote longer posts, which means more content.

What do you guys use for prizes?

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Hey lucas good luck on the contest, and don't sweat it. $20 is more than enough, trust me :thumbsup:

11. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

Good to hear! I'll get to work getting everything in place for the contest.

Kaiser likes this.
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Regular Member

Im thinking of having a contest here on AdminBB. Just can't think of anything that would be fun and interesting.

13. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, and its nice to run them with an established community. It's always nice to give back to your members. Whether its with a money contest, or with a free advertisement contest. You'd notice you'll get moe traffic, and possibly more members during contests. then you have to focus your community away from the contest when its over.

Se7eN likes this.
  14. Gamrpro

Gamrpro Regular Member

Yes I do. But, only 5 members actually participated. Maybe because the prize was just $10 but later on I'll make it much larger!

15. ab-killer

ab-killer Regular Member

I've seen contests work wonders on several sites. The key is to make it something everyone wants, and making entry easy or something everyone knows how to do, only helps the cause.

16. baby1

baby1 Regular Member

Anyone do these? I would like to have a "12 Days of christmas" contest but I am trying to figure out details. Any suggestions? The forums are bodybuiling/fitness forums. I have some great things to give away that are related to the subject but I don't think I want to give a pize awy each day.

Brandon likes this.
  17. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I couldn't have said it any better. And if your community is a graphics community, then a good contest would be for users who can make the best banners. On an admin forum a contest should be who could create the best articles. Typically when I run a contest, the prizes are over $10 to make it worthy for all users.

18. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    A forum contest is a great way to build content on as well as a family bond on your forums. I’ve ran a few contest in the past; here is a link to one and another. I’ll run one here as soon as I get something coded or a stats mod comes up where we can see top posters in X days.

19. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I have always liked Brandon's contests LOL I have won a couple of them :P .. But, yeah this is a great idea. You are best off giving away something to do with your niche and even better if its something you already own... If you have your site monetized well you could invest say a couple 100 dollars into a contest and make tripple that back with the increased traffic...So many uses for a contest

Brandon likes this.
  20. NationTalk.us

NationTalk.us Regular Member

We hold a monthly giveaway, with the prize varying each month. We gave away a replica of the Constitution last month and this time we're giving away a pocket Constitution. I do see a spike in traffic on the last day each month, but I'm thinking about adding a points system to encourage people to post more.