Have you ever been on a pre-release or BETA team?

Discussion in 'Community Forum Software' started by Brandon, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've been on a few beta and pre-release teams over the years. I really enjoy getting an early view of applications and offering feedback on improvements I'd like to see. One of the more well known products I helped out on was being an early adopter of vBSEO and being invited to be in the pre-release. Having access to those early builds and seeing what the new SEO enhancements were before everyone else was awesome. Then vBSEO sorta stopped adding new stuff so I asked to be removed from the team.

Anyways I was reading something earlier and I started thinking of these BETA teams and wanted to see who else has been involved in these. Did you like it, and would you be interested in BETA testing current applications for the scripts you run. eg, vBulletin, xenforo, IPB etc...

DaUnknownAdm!n likes this.
  2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I've been on a bunch. When I was a Microsoft MVP I had access to all kinds of pre-release software. My focus was Visual c++ and later Visual Studio c# and c++. Had access to early build of Windows dating back to Windows 3.1. Back then they mailed you the beta disks.

I've had set top boxes sent to me, tablets, tv tuners and a whole array of hardware to evaluate and test. Some of it I got to keep, but, most had to be sent back after the testing phase was over.

For web stuff I was on the vbulletin 3 beta team. There weren't many of us. If I remember correctly Floris and I were the first and they later added about 5 or 6 more testers. I was a UBB tester also.

If you get invited to any beta you should jump at it. If you're lucky enough to get invited to join an alpha team don't pass it up. You get to shape the product. Once software is beta for the most part it's feature locked.

DaUnknownAdm!n, cpvr and Brandon like this.
  3. nemtulea

nemtulea Regular Member

not me,but it was nice to be one...

4. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Not as of this time. I do always use the latest beta releases that come out and use the latest beta versions of Firefox, but I've never been on a proper beta or pre release team.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I used to be on the Sony Beta Release Team.. It was nice when I had the time but I got cut when I stopped reviewing games. I would get sent copies of games before everyone else had them and I also used that to make money with a blog by providing screenies and videos of games before they ever came out.. It was a nice lil deal for while then I got busy with real life stuff and lost out on that.. But getting stuff before everyone else is always nice :)

Brandon likes this.
  6. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    I've tested out a few phpBB mods for friends, and I'm also a tester for ProphpBB's new forum hosting system that is currently in development

7. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

I did alot of beta / pre-release testing on computer hardware front for a few manufacturers from Corsair, G.Skill, OCZ, Intel, DFI, Asus and Gigabyte on occasion :)

On software side, very early days did beta testing for BlueByte's Settler's games (addicted to strategy games myself back in the day). Unfortunately, such genre of games can be too time consuming and haven't had time for them these days.

As to software online, vBulletin v1.0.x to present++ :D :giggle: ;) :whistle:

Also did some feedback testing for Unixy Cpanel Varnish plugin as well (i.e. whm current varnish stats variables/format display and a few other suggestions)

It's always nice to have other folks value your opinions and feedback - probably best part of being in beta/pre-release testing stages.

Brandon likes this.
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

I've been in some over the years... Microsoft, Oracle, Apple, vBulletin...

Not part of any currently though.

9. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    eeeeewwwww oracle :( lol

10. Zaturo

Zaturo Regular Member

No, I have not. Not that I don't want to, it's just that no one seems to take me under their wing if you know what I mean. I bet there would be so much to learn if only. If only if only I were a..nevermind. Forget I said anything.

Brandon and Monster like this.
  11. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

Many developers are looking for beta testers. Simply ask them (you often find contact information on the program's website or in the source code). If I ever have something to beta-test, I'll contact you! :)

12. Creaky

Creaky Regular Member

If you include forum software then yes, IPB normally release beta versions so I normally test those.