Has Google contacted you about an ad in the first post violating Adsense terms?

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by BirdOPrey5, May 12, 2013.

1. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    I don't personally use ads in the posbit but in the last couple days I've seen at least 1 user of vBulletin.com forums and 1 user on XenForo.com forums complaining that Google sent them an email they have 72 hours to bring their site into compliance or they would stop serving adsense ads.

In both cases it seems to be the ad they have in the first post, even though it is off to the side Google think it looks too much like legit content.

I suspect these people have set the colors for text-based ads to look as much like normal forum content as possible, but I am not sure since I never see text ads. I'm wondering if anyone else has got hit with this yet, and if so, are your text ads blended into the page?

This seems like a major change from Google- I know the first ad post location was specifically approved/OKed by Google back in the day when ad locations and Google Adsense integration was first added to vBulletin.

Brandon likes this.
  2. WEfail

WEfail Regular Member

No letters here.

3. petertdavis

petertdavis Old Timer

Did those email from Google actually specify the ad in the first post as the reason?

4. limcid

limcid Regular Member

You have to be careful of phishing efforts. If I received something like this in my email, I would go to the Google Adsense page and see if there is some sort of notification on my account. If not, I would call them to confirm before taking the email seriously, especially if the email requires info from me.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

I highly doubt that would break the rules unless it said something like click these ads or in some way suggested people should do it. I know people who make x,xxx in adsense with the old Vbulletin modification that makes the ad look like the second post. Uses a box add for avatar the whole deal. People have used it for years and never heard of them having problem

6. BirdOPrey5

BirdOPrey5 #Awesome

First Name:
    Joe
    It's not a phishing attempt because they aren't asking people to click anything. They do not specify the first post ad, only an example URL.

7. petertdavis

petertdavis Old Timer

What's the sample url? Show us and we might be able to help figure it out.