Has being a forum owner made you more likely to support the sites you like?

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Soliloquy, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Do you think being a forum owner has made you more likely to want to support your favorite sites, through clicking on ads, buying through affiliate links, and buying premium memberships?

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator

3. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Yes, in a way.

4. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    As long as they're appealing to me yes.

5. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

When I visit a good site, I always click on an ad or two. I have even gone back to a site in the past because I remembered they had an ad for a specific service that I wanted to buy.

I won't buy premium memberships unless they offer me something spectacular. Larger Avatars, Private Message Boxes and things like that won't do it. I need something I can't get elsewhere.

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Like Wayne, I make an effort to click on interesting ads (and always explore the advertised site a little) or buy through affiliate links, if I know there's a real human being running the site and not some faceless corporate spam machine.

7. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

My site survives on donations and most of the sites like mine do also. I have donated to most of them because I know what it's like to have the server payment due and see that the paypal account doesn't have enough to make that payment.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I've always supported communities in which I participate on and/or like financially, and because of this, I'm not sure if I'd say that being a forum owner has made me more likely to do so - the drive to donate has always been there.

9. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Yes. I rarely purchase Premium Membership packages, but I do click ads every once in a while. I figure it's the least I could do. :P

10. Kakeru

Kakeru Addict

I sometimes click ads on sites i support, but I don't always remember to. Then there are many that I like that don't have any ads at all...

11. kneel

kneel Regular Member

If its a site I frequent...yea...i try and help out. As far as premium memberships...I havnt yet...like wayne said...bigger avatar ect. aint really nothing..THATS where being a owner actually hurts it...lol...cuz we all know what its about..

Being an owner makes me look at sites a little harder tho...you can tell which one has a little werk in it and which ones were just thrown together..

12. torque

torque Regular Member

If there is a website I stumble across that I like/enjoy and spend much of my time exploring I contribute financially (as Admin Addict have discovered) - I normally do not buy Premium Memberships but if there is no donation buttons/bars and I want to support them I spin around and purchase one not because their features appeal to me but because I want to support the site.

13. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    I used to support forums in the past but there is just to many now days. As for clicking on ads to help, I'll click on stuff that catches my eye but I'm not going to do it soley to help out a forum. That just doesn't seem right to me.

14. Dan

Dan Future Proof

First Name:
    Dan
    I agree with Cris Martin up there ^. I'll always help a business or website if I think it's good. Anything local is good, keeping money local is always wise, especially in this recession lark. I don't think being an admin has made me care more for the sites I use that I like, I know most of them do quite well out of their traffic alone in one way or another. But as said somewhere above, if I want something and I remember that they have an affiliate link to it somewhere on a site that's been good to me, then I will go back to it and make sure I buy via it.

I'll often leave reviews for websites that are good though, and doing that I hope sends them a bit more traffic some day, and that alone should be good enough for their pocket, or server fee's without my actual financial help.