Google Search

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Nick, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Has anybody replaced the forum search with Google search for AdSense in an attempt to increase revenue?

I'd never completely replace the forum search, but I just finished adding Google Search right below the forum search (in the search drop-down menu on the navbar) on one of my forums, so we'll see how it goes.

2. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I've added the search bar on my site before and made a few bucks
    I don't see a search dropdown here on AA though :| just the one over to the right which looks like the stock vb search.

3. Nick

Nick Regular Member

It wasn't this forum that I added it on. I forgot to mention that. :P

2 people like this.
  4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    oooo :p
    that would explain why I didn't see it.
    I like what DP did, even though it pisses me off as an end user, but I bet Shawn makes a few bucks with his current google search setup.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Oh, that's interesting. I wonder how to make the check-box work like that...

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
  7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    true, that's just a general HOWTO for the check box
    you can do what he did with a template condition ;)

9. vlauria

vlauria Addict

First Name:
    Vincent
    We've just added this recently as a recommendation from a friend at google. We haven't seen any large uptake yet, but I'm feeling positive it will be good for us. Per google's recommendation, they told us to make the search bar much wider then we had it and put it in a place that is clearly visible and not lost with other links. Our search box is now big enough to fit a whole phrase when typing, not just a few keywords. It's place at the very top of every page, between the header and the start of the content.

Here's a great case study they have on moving the adsense search box: Inside AdSense: Get Goghing with AdSense for search

2 people like this.
  10. superfishnz

superfishnz Novice

First Name:
    Binh
    I had this running on my older site which uses phpBB and it worked out really well in two ways.

Firstly, I find the results from Google were actaully more relevant than what phpBB search produced! So members were actually get good search results from Google search on my site than the built-in phpBB search.

Secondly, if they did see an ad that was interesting, they would like it and I would make a small amount of income from it. Money from Google Search Adverts are very small, but the search results from Google proofed to be more relevant than my built-in search function for the site! So it works out well both ways.

11. bucket

bucket Addict

some prime space is sometimes used for a google search box.

do y'all think the prime location/space used for the google search box would pay better if it was simply google adsense text ad box?

the google search box could be added at the bottom of the page, or added as an option on the ordinary search page. (less prime location and space)

12. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I'm trying it now. I already screwed up the first try after realising you can't use custom templates as the pages for the Google search results (you know, the misc.php?do=page&template= type). I'll see how it goes personally.

13. kev

kev Regular Member

On my main forum, some of the topics deal with the sale of weapons, ammo, knives, mace,,,, lots of stuff that violates the adsense terms of service. So I can not have adsense on my main forum.

14. vlauria

vlauria Addict

First Name:
    Vincent
    as superfishnz mentioned, that google ads were very targeted to what the member was searching for.

My thought on this is that google adsense for search is low revenue because it's not searched and clicked on all the time, however, the earnings per click of these ads is much higher then a traditional ad. So I think for the one line of space it takes up, it's good to promote and make it easy to find (you don't want members searching for the search box). Will out under- or out- perform a traditional ad, i dunno, but i'll keep you updated with what we learn.

15. Shower

Shower Newcomer

First Name:
    Allen
    I wonder how to make the check-box work like that..

16. Tubeget

Tubeget Novice

First Name:
    vamsi4u
    I have replaced the entire search with google customised search.
    It has 2 advantages,

• helps in reducing server load.
    • extra earnings from ads.
    it't pretty good..but we dont get real time search results :spin: