Google aquires reCaptcha

Discussion in 'Security and Legal' started by David, Sep 16, 2009.

1. David

David Regular Member

Source: Google Acquires reCAPTCHA

So at what point are we going to stop and ask ourselves, are we going to let google buy everything up? This isn't good and its coming to the point where almost all services are going to be ran through Google.

Which we all know loves data, and they take your data, use it and monetize it while you're SOL.

2. kev

kev Regular Member

They have to do something to protect gmail from the spammers. In the long run this might be a good deal.

It was announced a long time ago that gmail captcha had been broken. And ever since then spammers have been turning to gmail by the hordes. I'am willing to bet this might have an effect on the spammers using bots to register gmail accounts. In the long run we will probably see a decrease in the number of spammers using gmail.

Since recaptacha helps digitize books, this might also help google books.

-- edit --

Yep, I was right. Before I even read the article I guessed that it was linked to google books and I was right.

3. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm with Kevin, this makes sense for a company involved in digitizing books.

4. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    Good to stop the ugly spam bots registered with google mail and sign up on our site and spam.

5. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I don't see the problem with this. Sure, Google may need to buy less sites to avoid basically monopolizing the net, but it's certainly useful from both the recaptcha group's perspective and that as an admin (think about it, everyone here gets spam accounts from bots that cracked Gmail's login process, correct?)

6. Dave

Dave Regular Member

I'm all for it...we have had loads of gmail spammers.

7. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

That isn't why they bought it. If they wanted to stop spam on Google Mail, they can with better verification of accounts. They could have added reCaptcha for free if they really wanted to. Just like Facebook and thousands of other sites have.

They bought it so they can scan old books and newspapers into their databases and then charge you to look at them. Any other benefit will just be a side-effect. That is if they don't destroy it and bleed it dry like many of their other acquisitions. Very few last a year after acquisition.

8. OneUpDave

OneUpDave Guest

Google Voice is one example of that, Wayne, which is a ridiculously stripped-down version of GrandCentral. 'Twas a service that I was going to subscribe to, before Google bought it. There was so much more to it, but not GVoice is but a shadow of what once was.

I don't really know how I feel either way about this. As long as I can still use the same ReCaptcha verification on my sites for free, I'm fine.

9. David

David Regular Member

And google is about to get blocked on digitizing the books any way and they know it. So this move isn't about Google books as it about other things.

10. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

You sure they know that they will be stopped? Makes me wonder why they are spending millions on their new On Demand book printing business as well then.

Google Espresso promises on-demand book printing - Telegraph

They have already acquired millions of books and publications to be scanned along with the million they have in their databases already.