general question....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by kneel, Sep 4, 2009.

1. kneel

kneel Regular Member

so the other day i was browsing sum forum i came across...and thought about joining,,, but then a strange though came over me....

"if i join... then they'll have my email and IP address" . . ??....

so....my question is this... after being an admin... how many time has sumthing like this crossed your mind?

Sub-question....

Since you know what goes on behind the scenes now..has that ever stopped you from joining a certain site/forum?

2. BabyDesigner

BabyDesigner Adept

First Name:
    Meg
    I cant say it has, not really. There is one forum where I worry about my IP address, though Im not too sure I do.

Most new members I facebook their emails to see if they have any mutual friends so I have a rough idea how they found out about my forum. But honestly I couldnt give about their IP address LOL

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

It doesn't bother me, to be honest. Keep in mind that you can create additional e-mail addresses to use when registering for a discussion forum. :) Using the same e-mail account for everything is not necessary.

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I have only ever thought of one thing and that is making sure my password for each varies.

5. cheat-master30

cheat-master30 Grand Master

I can't say it bothers me, due to IP addresses being of limited use, and email addresses being easily replaceable. Some people also panic due to using a password on multiple sites and being worried one might be hacked, but again, since I use different passwords on each forum I visit, it's no big deal.

6. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I am the same. They tend to end up all random anyway by using the password reset form all the damn time :D

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

1 trick I read about is to create email addresses with the name of the site you're signing up on, so if you get spam you know where it came from. (And can angrily denounce the site in public, I guess.)

8. Ak Worm

Ak Worm Grand Master

First Name:
    Corey
    I Know It Isnt, But I Got A New Email, [email protected] . I Think I'll Start Using It, Cause I've Been Using One Email For Soo Long. I Have Like Over 200 Emails In My Inbox. That Mainly Say Welcome Or Action Required To Validate ACcount @ Site.com Or Whatever.

9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

You could probably safely delete those.

10. epdmcoatings

epdmcoatings Newcomer

First Name:
    epdm
    It does not bother me, coz i know if i am joining some forum and participate in discussion what i have to do? so never feel hesitant if you are sharing your knowledge some where which can be helpful for you.:)

11. kneel

kneel Regular Member

this is the best idea i've heard!!! good call!!!