Forum with no moderators

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Ramya108, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Ramya108

Ramya108 Addict

First Name:
    Svetlana
    Is it possible to run a forum without moderators?
    By this I mean that administrator supervises the forum alone.

2. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I (as an admin) did it for quite a while. When I mean quite a while, I mean for like 6 months or so (my forum is a year and half years old). It got to the point where there were issues when I went on vacation and when I slept. The forum had like 20,000 - 50,000 posts before I added moderators. So, to answer your question you can, but eventually it gets REAL difficult.

3. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    yes on a smaller forum, but with active forum its best to have mods

4. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    My forum is still really small so it's not an issue for one person but I can't see it happening on a larger forum.

5. kev

kev Regular Member

small sites - no moderators really needed. But it helps so have at least 2 or 3 moderators.

6. kneel

kneel Regular Member

sure you can do it.

but sumthing a mod brings is people. they can help you spread the werd on your site.

remember, mods arent just for closing threads and deleteing posts, they're there to help you build your site!

2 people like this.
  7. Ramya108

Ramya108 Addict

First Name:
    Svetlana
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_660df15982aca461044db9609ec3326e.gif Yes, my mods really helped me to build our community.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree with what has been said so far. In the beginning, and as long as the activity is manageable, the administrator can run the site solo. But as the activity increases, one or two moderators should be recruited.

As kneel mentioned, having moderators from the start is often a good idea, because they help you build your community, make decisions, and can ultimately promote the community extensively.

2 people like this.
  9. Null-11

Null-11 Newcomer

First Name:
    Colin
    It's entirely possible, but not so realistic. It's just a matter of how much time you have to pour into your forum.

Even if you have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to manage your site you'll eventually reach a point where posts will be coming in faster than you can moderate.

For a new forum, you being administrator and and moderating the entire forum by yourself could work. As your forum grows try to pick out a few dedicated members who look like Moderator quality and offer them the job. Getting others to moderate is just outsourcing on part of managing your forum. With the free time you gain you'll be able to focus on other aspects of promoting and improving your forum.

2 people like this.