Fiction Lovers

Discussion in 'Community Showcase' started by Wolfy, Nov 25, 2010.

1. SpacewardAsh

SpacewardAsh Lurking From Space

First Name:
    Ashley
    @Wolfy: I think XF might be nice to try out just the conversion would be a pain as your friend Sylar pointed out :(

IPB would be good too but just remember it's your forum and you need to go for what you are comfortable with and what your community wants ;)

2. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

Thanks Ashley. I have tested out the admin cp for both, and I must say I like Xenforo, plus it is cheaper. But as you and Sylar said, the conversion will be a pain. I am hoping to get someone at XenFans to convert it, but not sure how much it would cost.

3. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

4. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

Hello all,

Well so far things have been going ok activity wise. It could do better, but I am not complaining.

Currently I am trying to save up so we can get XenForo. I am at 100 dollars at the moment and should be at the right amount by Saturday. At that time I will be able to get the license and then about a week later we will merge over to it. By then I should have a theme installed and the required mods installed. I must also warn you, most likely, your password will be reset, so if have joined, or join within that time, please keep that in mind. So that’s the story on the XenForo merge.

Right now, what we need is some activity. As I said before, we are doing ok, but we couldbe doing much better. If you like reading books, watching movies, watching tv shows, or writing yourself, please join our community. We’d love to meet you. See you at http://fictionlovers.org

Stats: Our members have made a total of 6,807 posts in 1,064 threads.
    We currently have 333 members registered.

5. MsJacq

MsJacq Regular Member

I own a forum for writers actually. We're using vBulletin 3.8.x currently - It's a nice little community, but whenever it is that our next site upgrade takes place - we'll likely upgrade to xenForo, as the vB 4.x series is not much of an upgrade from the 3.x series LOL

Nice looking site you have there Wolfy!

J.

6. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    Please don't promote your own site inside someone else's topic, it can be rather rude to the OP, especially if your sites are similar,

Thanks

7. MsJacq

MsJacq Regular Member

Seriously? I wasn't promoting my site - I was adding on to the conversation that another writers forum is considering a switch to xenforo... Besides - my forum is in my signature. Should it not be???

Anyway - I thought my previous post was adding some sort of relevance to the discussion, aside from being a complete generic generic comment.... I will watch what I post here from now on :-/

My apologies to the OP if you found my post rude aimg821.imageshack.us_img821_1364_wildeyed.gif

J.

8. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

Honestly, I didn't really care about the comment. I actually found it pretty relieving to know I am not the only forum who would rather move to xenForo than stay on the current software. Also, I don't really think the sites are that similar as I own a forum that is focused on books, movies, authors, and television shows and happen to have a place where you can discuss writing, where as MaJacq's forum is centered around writing.

Anyways, I just bought xenForo and we should be converting to it in around this weekend.

Stats:
    Our members have made a total of 6,934 posts in 1,089 threads.
    We currently have 334 members registered.

MsJacq likes this.
  9. MsJacq

MsJacq Regular Member

Sweet!
    A xenForo license is on my shopping list for whenever it is I have an extra $140 lying around LOL - Can't wait to see what you do with your site!

J.

10. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

Hello everyone,

It is my pleasure to say that we are now running xenForo on our forums. We have successfully converted, but some things such as passwords, signatures, and attachments may have been lost in the conversion. You may need to have these reset. If you are having problems resetting any of these, feel free to contact either through the contact page at http://fictionlovers.org or by replying to this thread. Also, if you see anything out of place or not right, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.
    I have added 4 styles aside from the default for you to choose from. We have 2 dark styles and 2 light styles. They come in the colors of blue and green. If you’d like, I can other colors such as purple and yellow.
    I am working on adding addons to make your forum viewing pleasure even better. If there are any you would like me to add, please let me know and I’d be happy to add it.

Also, as you can see, there are spaces where I plan to add advertisements in the future. This is just to make a little money to pay for hosting and domain costs. Hopefully these shouldn’t be too much of a hindrance to you.

Thank you for reading, and I hope to see you return to our forum. Once again, the link is http://fictionlovers.org.

Fiction Lovers Admin,
    StripesAndFins.

Stats:
    Discussions:1,112
    Members:330

Ashley.S. likes this.
  11. SpacewardAsh

First Name:
    Ashley
    Congrats on the successful switch @Wolfy I hope Xenforo serves you well :cool:

12. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

Thank you, Ashley!

So far, the move to xenForo has seemed to pretty successful. We will be staying on 1.0.4 until 1.1 gets out of beta.

Fiction Lovers now has 7092 posts and 302 members. I know we can do better, so please help us with this. We have boards for books, movies, authors, television shows, and even a place for your own writing. If any of these subjects interest you, you will love this forum.

Please like our Facebook page at http://facebook.com/fictionlovers and follow us on Twitter @fiction_lovers. Also, please share us with any and all of your friends.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  13. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

14. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

15. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member

16. Wolfy

Wolfy Regular Member