Favourite Forum Software

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by fantanoice, Apr 2, 2010.

1. fantanoice

fantanoice Regular Member

What's your favourite forum software? Mine is MyBB, because it has a lot of features, great mods and looks great. I'm currently using it at my forum and don't think I'll ever change. ^_^

2. Teekay

Teekay Regular Member

Mine is phpBB3, I haven't used MyBB so not sure how good or bad it is.
    VBulletin is good but its quite expensive when starting up and if the forum isn't that active then its not worth getting it.

3. Junaid

Junaid Regular Member

My Facourite Forum software is called SMF its really great I have used MyBB and PHPBB and both are great but the reason why am using SMF because there are many more themes for it and its really easy to install mods

4. matthewhotdude

matthewhotdude Regular Member

Nothing will ever beat Vbulletin. I used to have Phpbb and thats total pants in comparison

5. el canadiano

el canadiano Regular Member

Everything beats vBulletin. It has the worst Admin CP and the most useless support out there. If you're looking for something commercial, go with IPB. Its support team will fix every problem for you and tell you what to do if you come across the same problem next time. IPB 3.0 in default configuration doesn't require much SEO stuff, but 3.1 will basically have built-in SEO. Clearly they also rushed vB4, hence lots of bugs.

Having said all that, my best forums are run in MyBB with Google SEO. Plugins are much easier to install than phpBB, with next to no file edits necessary (Google SEO has two or three, but they provide you with the changed files). Its templating system is really good too. All you need to know is (x)HTML, CSS, and a few variables to learn its structure. You don't have to learn any templating language at all. MyBB's ACP is really good and simple, which is better than IPB's, which is also better than vBulletin's.

6. Junaid

Junaid Regular Member

I have herd V-bulletin Is great but I know it is really expensive if you got a small forum

7. dentist

dentist Regular Member

phpbb for the easy user permissions.
    SMF for the easy plugin installation.

8. Junaid

Junaid Regular Member

Yeah Agree!

9. Teekay

Teekay Regular Member

I have updated the forum rules - <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://thetechzone.co.cc/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2">viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2</a><!-- l -->

So from now on, your post must contain atleast 3 words, but this does not apply in the 'Forum Games' section and also please do not double post, you can post again if another member hasn't made a post but that's every 24 hours.

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

10. Snobothehobo

Snobothehobo Regular Member

My favorite forum software is phpBB. I've been using it for years, and it still hasn't ever disappointed me.

11. saintsinner

saintsinner Regular Member

i like MyBB. the best and the easiest forum software available.

12. Junaid

Junaid Regular Member

Has anyone tried Invision Power Board its a bit cheap than vbulletin but you can get it cheaper if they host it for you

13. Insanity

Insanity Regular Member

I'm a big fan of IPB version 3, not a fan of the older stuff though, I find is severely lacking. Zetaboards is pretty good for a free forum package.

14. Pro Master

Pro Master Regular Member

I love the phpBB because they have great community to support and excellent mod and secured

15. imported_Chaos

imported_Chaos Regular Member

Mybb, no contest...

16. About Lee

About Lee Regular Member

Im currently using two, Smf for my paidpackages site and IPB for my chat fourm. But i may put my IPB onto my paidpackages site.

17. Gamer

Gamer Regular Member

Definitely vBulletin. I began with phpBB years ago then migrated to vBulletin and have stuck with it ever since. Although I can't compare it with other forum software but i'm very happy with vBulletin and the support i receive from them.

18. Wood

Wood Regular Member

MYBB

19. ViddaXondi

ViddaXondi Regular Member

MyBB, love the look and feel of it. It could use more plugin support though..

20. shihab

shihab Regular Member

has to be MyBB