"Every forum has its smartass"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by webaficionado, Aug 17, 2012.

1. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

The statement above is something I actually read in one site, and have given some thought. Most forums I've been to usually have 1 or 2 members who are sarcastic and rude to others, especially to newbies. They think they've already seen it all, they know everything, and therefore another person's opinion doesn't even count.

These people are not really seen as rude, more as funny, at least if you get their jokes. So, as they're not specifically breaking any rules, they're not even warned for their messages.

Do you think you can find at least 1 person in the forums you actively participate in? I wonder what would happen if we put them all in one forum and let them debate their opinions. It'd be fun to watch, kind of like a fight between Dr. Cox and Dr. House :P

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  2. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

It's true, I have some on my community but I'm not going to mention them. But when they act like that, its usually jokes because when its time to get serious, they do.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

The word is Troll. Every forum has its Troll. I hate me some Trolls .. So annoying

cpvr and Dan Hutter like this.
  4. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

LOL that sounds sort of like me :D

No but seriously i am a Sarcastic person by nature and I have a caustic sense of humor but i usually mean no harm and most people who take the time to get to know me know that I am just a guy who likes to joke around and they usually fire back with their own quips and what not.

Now i do have quite a few of those types of members on my site who are extremely rude and sarcastic...Not so much to newbies but to members who they simply can't stand. One of my Sub-admins is like this and i often times have to tell him to chill out as he goes to far.

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Yup, that's true. Depending on how you treat them, they won't act up too bad. Have some drama? Expect them to come out full-fledge. Well, sometimes.:ROFL:

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    One thing Trolls will do that may be good in the eyes of some people is to create HOT topics that will generally fill up quick before getting shut down by a staff member.

cpvr likes this.