Ever had a staff member disappear?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Have you ever had a staff member suddenly vanish and never come back?

The only experience I have like this is a "Helper" (she was one of the editors of our monthly Newsletter) on one of my forums disappeared. She suddenly stopped visiting with no hints or forewarning of personal troubles. Several members have attempted to contact her, but she hasn't ever responded or logged back in.

Sometimes I worry and wonder about what happens to some people. It could be sad. :(

2. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

Yeah i had that happen earlier this year. This guy was was a mod for me, very active, on several times a day, posted lots, just stopped posting, no mention ever made of why. I emailed him, facebooked him (is that a word? LOL), but never an answer.

3. kev

kev Regular Member

Yes, I have had moderators disappear overnight. I had show back up in October, 2009 after a 2 year absence, 2007 - 2009

4. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Always, Always find some means of offline contact, a cell phone number, something.

5. Nathaniel Altere

Nathaniel Altere Newcomer

First Name:
    Anthony
    I always have them disappear on me, but I never lose contact with them. At least not as of yet.

6. Blake

Blake Regular Member

So how long after they "disappear" do you remove their mod abilities?

7. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

There ya go, including relatives and people that know them nearby.

I was a moderator on a larger forum and another mod disappeared completely. No way to get in touch with them. Eventually 2 years later they removed him from being a mod.

8. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Good question! I've taken over 6 months to remove one moderator's permissions (and I even knew that she "retired"). :P

9. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

You must of trusted her so much you knew she wouldn't come back and do something lol.

10. Melancholy

Melancholy Newcomer

First Name:
    K.L.
    Because I've never run, nor helped run a website, I've never had a staff member disappear on me. But, I've seen it happen before my eyes.

Usually, it's not a mistake, because the said person was deemed as trustworthy, but on the flipped side on the coin, how trustworthy can the said person be if they just poof? If they can be trusted to look over a few boards, why can't they be trusted to notify the owner of their absence?

11. BananaQueen

BananaQueen Grand Master

First Name:
    not telling anyone ;)
    ive had a few staff who do that, leave it about a month before demodding them, if theyve not logged on in that time.

i also knew an admin who did that and left the forum with no staff and no notice of his leaving.

at one point my internet went down for weeks, and i text one of the other admin on one forum (shes my best friend in real life), and i managed to get on my dads computer and leave a message on the other forums, i wouldnt want to just dissapear from the forums

12. Rizzo

Rizzo Regular Member

About 2 weeks i left it of no contact - when i knew they had logged into facebook but not into my forum.

13. danrak

danrak Addict

I've had many over the years. The most memorable one however was to find out the person had passed away. A lot of the senior staff after that have volunteered their information such as phone numbers, and alternative contacts.

14. hotwheels

hotwheels Champion

First Name:
    doug
    I have had many leave over the years. I think it just has to do with lifes priorities. Sometimes things change in our lives and we tend to go to lifes next adventure. Although i am sad to see them leave and never come back, i always wish them well deep down. Their knowledge, sense of humor, etc...will be missed and is missed.

15. kev

kev Regular Member

Usually around 4 - 6 months.

16. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

true dat!

17. Justin S.

Justin S. Regular Member

My co-admin disappeared a few years ago. He had been relatively inactive for some time due to school and the like, so I'm assuming he either no longer had the time or no longer had the interest; not really sure, to be honest. I know it was several months before I removed him, and several months after that before I decided to find a moderator to replace him.

18. Nathaniel Altere

Nathaniel Altere Newcomer

First Name:
    Anthony
    Within the month they leave.