Ever bought or sold forums?

Discussion in 'Monetization Techniques' started by Nick, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I've seen a lot of people develop forums for the sole purpose of selling them for profit. Other people will buy established forums instead of starting from square one, and some people will buy forums, make a few improvements, and then resell them for profit... like "flipping" them.

Have you ever bought or sold forums, and for what purpose? How did it turn out?

2. John

John Regular Member

I have never bought an forum but I do have sold some. No really any great profits on the sells.

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Indeed - I've purchased a forum (but have never sold). Here's my post from http://www.adminaddict.net/forum/ge...much-have-you-spent-your-site-2047/#post28647. :)

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

Nope not once, maybe if we seen something running vb that wasnt doing so well but had a great domain name we would snap it up but weve never seen anything really worth buying :)

5. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I've bought three forums; one has rebounded well and is making some money, the second actually got worse, and the third so far has remained the same. (Haven't had time to work on the third one at all.)

6. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Having a community "get worse" is actually a motivational factor for me - I suddenly acquire massive bursts of creative energy, ultimately leading to successful brainstorm sessions and smart decisions.

7. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Oh I have plans... everything just takes time to set into motion. That particular forum isn't for short-term gain though, I bought it because it fits into my long term plans. It's laying groundwork for something else.

8. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Best of luck with it! :)

9. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

I have not purchased any, but I have sold several. The most I have received was $10k for a Big Ten (sports) forum I had -- and the company that bought it let it go and the domain recently lapsed.

10. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Nope! I wouldn't either \o.o/

11. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Svoboda, shame they didn't manage it properly.
    FMB, you never know, you may change your mind someday.

12. Svoboda

Svoboda Adept

Meh, I'm good with it. Means one less competitor since I run forums in the same niche plus I got $10k out of the deal and didn't have to sign a no compete clause.

13. FullMetalBabe

FullMetalBabe Zealot

Well, that's true, but I've always stood by the idea of having my own starting from scratch, never buying one. Besides, the only kind of forum that would interest me would be Anime and I'd be very picky.

14. kev

kev Regular Member

No, I have never bought forums before. I have always just built my own. Its really tempting to but a premade forum instead of going to all the trouble on development, promotion, link development,,,,,