Enoughs enough (AA spamiming)

Discussion in 'Admin Talk Support & Feedback' started by Shelley, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Enoughs enough (AA spamming)

Is there any chance that when you reply and create posts that an e-mail notification isn't automatically sent out and set this to do not subscribe?

It's getting to the point that I can barely find my e-mails because admin addict mails are dominating my e-mail?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

3. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

You should really set to no email notification as default nick. I don't know any site that has this instant notification on as default.

Hopefully new future posts are not automatically email instant sent. Thanks anyway.

edit: I just check after reply in this thread and any additional replies are email sent nick. Anychance you can set this to no subscription as default?

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    just my 2 cents
    I always set this as instant emails subscription for new members on sites I've worked on
    and I always disable it on forums i post on, like I don't get emails from AA unless I subscribe to a thread manually.
    It took a few seconds to change, it's not a big deal IMHO

5. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

That can only be done via the admin end right brandon? I know I can select no subscription but I would have to do this in every post and thread I become involved in which I usually forget and I post quite frequently.

2 people like this.
  6. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

You can set it yourself...use this options:

Default Thread Subscription Mode When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

7. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I must be just plain stupid mark. yes? Did you not bother reading the previous posts. :unhunh: Read and get back to me. what about new threads that I decide to create and reply into? They automatically come up as the default (instant email notification. I don't want to have to keep setting this everytime I make a reply or create a post to not subscribed when an option within the admincp can be set.

This should be an opt in not and opt out feature.

edit: Doesn't matter. I'll use another e-mail that I don't even bother checking.

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    you can select no subscription from now on
    to remove yourself for old threads, you can click the subscribe threads link and unsubscribe to them all that way. :)
    I'm a member on a ton of vb forums, and only get emails on the threads I want to watch
    many of those forums have instant email subscription as default to new users.

9. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

I owe you an apology mark. I am sure i set this in that area already months ago. Sorry about that I've just deleted some important e-mail after removing all the adminaddict stuff and I'm a little annoyed. Again sorry looks like I am a little stupid which is fine.

10. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

Hmmm...I never get any emails....but then, I'm not sure if I've ever started a new thread.

11. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    sorry you lost your emails :(

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

1 - A while ago, I changed the default setting to weekly digest instead of instant notification. You registered before this change, so any thread you post into, you are automatically subscribed to via instant e-mail notification.

2 - To change this setting, see the first link in my post above. Any time you post in a thread that you haven't already posted in, or you create a new thread, you will be subscribed or not, depending on the setting you choose.

3 - To delete all of your current thread subscriptions that exist before you make the change above, then use the second link in my first post, tick the box on the far right of each thread in the list, then update the subscription using the drop-down at the bottom.

I hope this clarifies. You do not need to use a e-mail address that you never check. It's just a matter of proper setting configuration. :)

13. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I always set mine also when I used vBulletin to Instant Email Notification by default for new members. It's has to be done to help bring new members back again after joining. Plus it only takes seconds to change your settings so you get none and don't auto subscribe to threads you post in. So it not fair having a go a Nick over it.

Many do it with vBulletin forums, myself included. And it's actually one of the best features that IPB3 doesn't have. That can be set-up as default for new members. :)

14. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

I always set ours to the No subscription. If people want to subscribe to a thread, they will.

15. kev

kev Regular Member

For new forums - have instant notification the default
    For medium sized forums - have daily or weekly the default
    For larger forums - have no email the default

The amount of emails a large forum can send out can will put a strain on the server.
    But for new forums, its important to get those few members back to post often.

16. Shelley

Shelley Regular Member

Yeah, I was almost sure I set those settings in the early days here which is why I didn't go back and check them later into this thread. I was adamant that the settings where set to no subscription. I understand the logic of gaining members back I was thinking "well, I set to no subscription what else can i do". Yeah go check your settings like nick originally said. :doh:

I did design a 10 slapping per second smiley which seems more appropriate that the one slap smiley above. Yes, every so often even i need a good slap. *watches nick springing his hand into slapping mode*

I should stop typing now. :eek:

17. MjrNuT

MjrNuT Grand Master

Hey Shelley....FWIW, I went through the same thing with Nick about a month ago...via PMs.

hehehehee

*I still want the 10 slap/sec on the BIG forehead smiley*

A good laugh is always worth it in the end, I say.

18. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I agree with that chart; all of my forums start off with instant notification. Two of my forums are medium-sized, so I've recently changed the settings to weekly digest.

19. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Every time I join a vB forum, I disable email send out for threads. GMail thankfully takes all IPB forum emails and places them all in one big email chain. vB updates are individual emails.

I never real the emails. So it's like a surprise each time I visit the forum. .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  20. Noles

Noles Adept

First Name:
    Ryan