Editing users' posts for SEO

Discussion in 'SEO, Traffic and Revenue' started by Jessi, May 20, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

I came across this for the first time on a forum today. The admin regularly edits people's thread titles to better describe them and make them more SEO-friendly. I know this is why he was doing it because there was actually a thread of people being confused and them discussing that he does it so they're more likely to show up in search engines.

What do you think of this? Is this pushing SEO concerns too far or is that at least better than him editing their posts, too?

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  2. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I'll edit a misspelled title but that's about it. If it's a confusingly spelled word in the first place, I'll often leave it as to rank for the misspelling figuring that other people are misspelling it too. Google's built in spell check probably makes this approach useless nowadays.

The furthest I go is adding details to an overly vague title; "Help my mixer isn't working" is changed to "Help my Rane MP25 doesn't work"

Posts themselves are always left as posted except when edited for profanity, baiting, etc in which case they're normally just trashed.

cpvr likes this.
  3. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

The only time I'd edit a post title is if it's misleading or a bad description of what the thread contains.

That said: I not really against what the admin you mentioned is doing. Sure, it might confuse some members a little, but if it helps to drive more members to the forum it's a win all round.

cpvr likes this.
  4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I only edit posts if the title doesn't make any sense.

benjaminp likes this.
  5. TheCause

TheCause Regular Member

I rarely ever edit posts. I just let people do what they want.
    I'll edit a post if someone uses really foul language, or that sort of thing (I only do that for newer members that dont know better. If they have been around for awhile I will let them know if they do it again it will be a warning.).

Brandon and benjaminp like this.
  6. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

Sometimes a misspelled word has more SEO value than one spelled correctly. I think that is going way overboard

7. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

I do it sometimes. But only because of mis-spelling, or when a poster uses symbols.

Oh, and swearing in topic titles, too. Google penalizes owners for swearing in topic titles.

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Good to know, but do you have a source on this?

9. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

At the time of the post, I was basing it on first hand experience with other sites.

But a quick google search returns this: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/webmasters/W9dxdIoct6k

I see swearing on a lot of sites... They don't get penalized. But if you put swearing in topic title [i.e. where the H1 tags / friendly url's are] your rankings can be hurt. Obviously.

Back in the old vB2 days, I used to see a few sites using swear words in topic titles and I have seen them not only die a slow death, they've also flown off the grid.

The Call of Duty market expects an edgy forum, so I use swearing when I can or feel like it. But I never allow swearing in topic titles.

Brandon likes this.
  10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon