Dreamhost - Last Day Today

Discussion in 'Domains, Hosting and Servers' started by Webmist, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    I just couldn't pass on a deal. Dream host is offering a deal like you wouldn't believe. So I signed up for a new hosting account.

DreamHost Web Hosting: Limited Time Sale!

Ends today. 1 yr for $9.24. Just basic hosting though. Ends today. I had to check out the billing and yes it does say on 11/27/2009 I will be invoiced 9.24. Though the card I used did get billed like 1.78, I guess to make sure it was good.

Needless to say now I have another hosting account. :cheers::cheers:

2. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

Sorry, they're overselling. Go use up unlimited disk space and see if they don't terminate you. Hosts should really stop advertising Unlimited Space, Bandwidth. That right there causes me to skip them. Plus, Dreamhost has never been a good host for me or WHT community.

3. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    I agree with you. It's definitely not for anyone with a big site. But for anyone with a small site that only gets a couple hundred hits at the most or someone just starting out. It's ideal for the low bandwidth site. I have several who I suggested just because their bandwidth is so small. They cater to mostly family and friends.

4. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    live and learn ;)
    I don't care for any host that oversells, and a lot of them do :(

5. David

David Regular Member

Nothing wrong with dreamhost of $10 for a year of hosting (and a domain name) if you've got a small static site or just a few wordpress blogs to throw up there and waste time with.

6. Bryce

Bryce Regular Member

I could probably get away with using them, but I hate em so meh. $20/mo for my reseller account, moving to a dedicated server soon to house all 10+ of my sites LOL.

7. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    ***New Customers Only***

Oh, well. I'm paid through sometime in 2013 anyway. :rolleyes:

8. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Regular Member

I've got an account with Dreamhost and haven't had any problems. They've been solid with support as well. And, you can't beat the price. :)

But, I don't have my big account(s) with them. Just a few smaller sites. So far, so good :D

9. Chani

Chani Grand Master

First Name:
    Chani
    Lately their service has been good for me, but a few months ago...that was a different story.

My sites and email were going down left and right, and I desperately wanted to get out of the hosting I'd paid for, but they don't offer refunds. As I said, I'm paid through late 2013.

I guess it will stay that way.

But again, lately it's been good service. :)

10. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I've had a couple of Dream Host accounts each time I wound up canceling. I never ran anything major on them just a couple of blogs and a forums just starting out. Dreamhost has separate database servers, and while that seems like a good move, they dump a whole bunch of databases on each server which makes every database powered site slow as molasses.

They're fine for static sites but really what is a static site going to do with all that supposed bandwidth you have at your disposal? :lol:

11. Webmist

Webmist Champion

First Name:
    Jen
    For $10 a year I can live with a static site. My commercial account I wouldn't do, no sir. But for a few people that have inquired it will be perfect to set up a little site for them to see what can be done. It will save the time and space on my main account. Try before you buy as you will. May even plop some files there and link to them.

2 people like this.