Separate names with a comma.
If you own a forum, and you still have not moved on to proper hosting, you're in trouble.
Read the rest of the resource here
Joel, this belongs in the Articles, Tutorials & Interviews forum
Although I do agree with the article and its very nice, I'm going to point out a few things:
Not everyone can afford a decent host, it is easier said than done to buy something on-line, especially if you are under 16 and don't have your own bank account, etc.
Not everyone can afford to get a TLD, the same applies to what I just said above
Half of those paid hosts are not the best. The only good one I see is HawkHost, and the $3+/month is usually a catch because when you look at it, it works out at $3/month if you pay for the whole year!
If you look hard enough, you may be able to find yourself a nice free forum host or free web host but the four you listed are definitely ones to avoid
1) You can always apply for a Paypal account. If you're below 16, you can apply for a student account
2) Yes, money can be the issue. But maybe if you start earning, it wouldn't be such a issue. Offer posts, enter competitions etc. And hey, if you're really serious, you would be able to get the money. Ask your parents etc.
3) It was my opinion. I think those are really good hosts, but yes, you too have your say.
4) Once again, its my opinion. I think free forum hosts, be it Forumotion or any "good" ones out there (if there is), are wasting our time. Time to get professional.
I agree, if you go with a free forum you are very limited and there lot of other disadvantages. Now days you will need paid hosting and TLD to have a successful forum.
1. PayPal: Lie about your age | Use your parents | Get Student account
2. [Work Online: Post, comments, graphic work, etc] [Work Offline: Wash cars, cut grass, get real job, etc]
3. That is about $40 a year for hosting. Hawk Host always have coupond. I am on the basic plan but I had to only pay $20 due to a coupon and I know a other coupon code that will get me 50% off again.
4. There very few free host that I know are good. Even with a good free forum host there still of disadvantages, such as paying to remove ads or not having your forum's DB.
Nice article however I have some issues as well.
As stated paid forums cost money, which some people don't have
I'm not saying that paid forums are bad though. A lot of the times it's worth the few extra bucks to get rid of all the ads and restrictions
Sadly when starting off many people start off with free hosting then upgrade to paid if they see their site is doing well. At least this is what I've discovered.
There's much more but I'd just be repeating what you already stated in the article.
you've hit it right on the nail there Steve and I couldn't have put it better myself
However much true it is, people still sometimes need a 'free' solution to get started.