Does ipb have an import function

Discussion in 'IP.Board Discussions' started by twhiting9275, Sep 17, 2009.

1. twhiting9275

twhiting9275 Regular Member

Given the recent problems with IB, and my own history with their company, it's time to start looking elsewhere for forum software. Unfortunately, the choices are rather limited as to functionality and features, but I figured I'd ask here.

Does anyone know if IB contains any kind of import feature, specifically for vBulletin forums? I am looking for something to import not only my own forums, but the ones I manage, over the next few months, as I'm going to be pulling everything from vBulletin.

2. David

David Regular Member

You mean like a converter to go from vBulletin -> IPB.

Yes they do, they have a pretty decent list of common software they support importing into IPB actually.

Code:
    •4images 1.7
    •Coppermine Photo Gallery 1.4
    •FusionBB 3.0
    •MyBB 1.4
    •Photopost 6.2
    •phpBB 3.0
    •SMF 1.1 and 2.0
    •UBB.Threads 7.5
    •vBulletin 3.8
    •Woltlab Burning Board 3.0
    •XMB 1.9

They'll even convert any forum to IPB for a flat rate of $60 I beleive, which isn't to bad. IPS, Inc. - Convert to IP.Board 3

3. twhiting9275

Thanks!
    I'm sure I'll have many more n00b'ish questions, but without that link, I would have been lost.

That's one thing about their site, it's quite a bit confusing, and something like that you'd think they'd put up front where people like me could find it ;)

This is definitely going to be a learning experience.

4. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    If you're unweary of importing your own database, pay the 60 dollars and they'll take care of everything. If you happen to use a custom side-add-on mod for vBulletin and its data needs importing, then they can write up a converter for that. You're in good hands when you deal with IPS.

5. twhiting9275

Importing things is usually the easiest of all tasks. In this case, not really 'easy', took me about 4 hours for a small database and numerous attempts, but it got there.

I'm still not certain about "in good hands", there are a lot of flaws with the company, but there are bound to be those with any company, I guess :shrug:

6. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    There's a lot of flaws with IB as well, but like you said, there are flaws in everything.