Does anyone use Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by Brandon, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I'm going to be building several sites and pages with Microsoft's SharePoint Foundation 2010 Server.

Does anyone here use this, or has used earlier versions of it?
    If so, I may have a few questions for you if you don't mind :struggle:

2. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

Have you looked at the Wikipedia article yet? It says you have to use the latest related Microsoft technologies to use SharePoint 2010 ...

EDIT: Here's a link to the system and software requirements for SharePoint 2010. It's also smack at the beginning of Microsoft's SharePoint 2010 documentation. (See navbar on the left)

I've never used it, but I know my way around Microsoft's documentation ... if you have questions, just ask away, perhaps me or someone else will be able to point you in the right direction! :)

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks,
    We have the latest technology, just I'm in the early stages of figured out what I can do. We want to update our whole intranet site, and we're going to use foundation.
    SharePoint server and Visual Studio 2010 take a lot of RAM to run at a normal speed!
    SharePoint designer is pretty slick, and as far as I can tell, it's free. :)

4. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

Yeah, Sharepoint 2010 server requires 8-16 GB of RAM and 4-8 CPU cores.

5. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

I'll have a look at it next time I'm using Windows (and have suitable hardware around! ;) ). :turtle:

I've learnt not to trust any promises made by that company ... :moon: :moon: :moon: ... lots of unnecessary nights spent with Microsoft products. ;)

Also, don't forget the handcuffs: :handcuffs:

Any CMS is a major decision ... once you've begun with something, there's generally no easy way out.

I'm glad that I don't use any dedicated servers and that my ISP is taking care of all of my web hosting needs. :)

6. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    So I've been working on a master page the last couple days. I made a CSS layout with a header, footer, left side column and a right content area and now I'm trying to merge that with a default master page.
    I still have some lines of code to edit above the <head tag, but I'm almost to a point that I can see the design online, not just my local editor. :)

7. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Cool beans any chance we can get a screenshot? :p

8. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    well not really much to see yet, but here is my screenshot

awww.brandonsheley.org_wp_content_uploads_2010_06_sharepoint.png

the gray area under the code view is my css page I grabbed and cleaned up from dreamweaver.

9. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

Look good so far man :) What kind of hardware they have you running? I see XP but then I see the OS X Leopard background -- you gots me confused here. :D