Does anyone other then vBulletin staff think vBulletin is fast?

Discussion in 'vBulletin Discussions' started by Brandon, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Just wondering if anyone other then those being paid by vBulletin think the vBulletin 5 framework is fast on a large site?

2. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

I don't think staff does

3. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I don't know about that, most of the staff who have replied in my thread here seem to think it's not that bad.
    I see some saying the page takes a few seconds to load, but I rarely see anyone other then staff even remotely praise vb5.

4. Joeychgo

Joeychgo Regular Member

its improved greatly, but it still sucks.

Brandon likes this.
  5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I wish it was as fast as vBulletin 4.

6. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I don't think it's a matter of opinion. As a vBulletin 5 site owner, it's the antithesis of fast.

7. eva2000

eva2000 Regular Member

off duty from vB right now but popped in and tried new topics and yes it is slow as of time of this posting

repeated new topic accesses range from 39-45 seconds to load

screenshots http://imgur.com/a/OXoUa#0

Could be database server related ? (and no i don't have access to any of the vB/IB servers so have no control over them).

8. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I don't think it's fast. Every time I've tried to access vBulletin.com (out of boredom) it's been slow as hell.

Okay, that's not entirely true, it's faster than any site made in Flash (ironically), but it's still by far the slowest forum script I've ever seen.

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

It's more than likely all the queries that they use per page and it could also be database related.

10. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Thanks for stopping by George.

If it is DB related, it's been going on since the switch.
    The "New Threads" link at least.
    Out of the last 5 times I've tried it, 2 times it came back with a pink error and no results, the other 3 times it took well over a minute to pull the results back.

11. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

It depends on what you click over there. In general the site is just quite slow at 5-10+ seconds to resolve but many links such as certain search criteria are not slow they are effectively dead. Dead in that very often they just return an error after minutes of doing... well who knows what. Clearly not the developers after all this time.

Incidentally, I saw today that that the forum is now running on 5.0.5. I was greeted by a new 'Loading' message as I moused over the thread listings, eventually followed by a pop-up designed by Katie, age 4½.

lolup.jpg

If the popup is that slow it needs a 'Loading' message then why bother? It just looks silly. Oh and it seems the editor sprite sheet is no longer loading and thread markers appear to work less than they ever did. The list goes on but really, who gives a toss any more.

Autopilot and Brandon like this.
  12. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

XenForo's popup also does not load immediately, the only difference is theirs doesn't display a loading message, it just sits their blank for a second or two.
    I recall highlighting this during XenForo's beta phase, but as usual I got pounced on by the "cult" and was abused and told it was brilliant and the best thing since sliced bread. So I gave up with the "constructive feedback" thing as everyone took it as a personal affront to Kier. :rolleyes:

Myself I prefer the old style "instant" previews.

13. we_are_borg

we_are_borg Regular Member

First Name:
    Jeroen
    vBulletin's problem is that it uses to much Javascript so it become apparent that the loading takes time, where Xenforo tries to load fast without anything else showing both systems might be par to one and other but visual and in thought Xenforo wins it.

14. zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ Regular Member

For comparison...

XenForo's popup typically loads in 200 - 300ms on a large, one million post plus active forum. Included in the thread view listing popup is a lot of CCS styling, the user avatar, the thread starter's user name and the date of posting.

vBulletin's popup typically loads in 800 - 1500ms on a large, inactive site (vbulletin.com). Included in the thread view listing is nothing much at all except something that appears thrown together by an amateur coder.

Your posts would have more credibility if you stopped being such a special snowflake. Your comparison between the two software platforms is valid insofar as both popups have some degree of lag. Your references to 'cults' and being 'abused' invalidates anything you have to say.

s.molinari and John like this.
  15. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Besides, two wrongs don't make a right. If another software does something wrong, it doesn't justify your software making the same mistake, in the same way friends jumping off a cliff doesn't justify you jumping off the same cliff.

s.molinari and zappaDPJ like this.
  16. Mark.B

Mark.B Regular Member

I'm not "justifying" anybody doing anything.

I'm highlighting the fact that a lag on the vBulletin preview is described as being bad, whereas when I highlighted a similar lag on the XenForo preview I was descended upon by the "cult".

For me, both lags are similar. A thread preview shouldn't have a lag, it's as simple as that. The old ones on vBulletin and other software such as, of all things, XMB, used to be instant. Absolutely instant.

My own on vB4 are actually styled similarly to XenForo's. I added an avatar and used jQuery to build them. But, they are still INSTANT.

http://www.bowlandcentral.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=148&styleid=179

Brandon, eva2000 and GTB like this.
  17. GTB

GTB Regular Member

I think Mark does have a point which he mentions, but as per usual people jump on him for saying it about XF

18. Mikey

Mikey Mikeylicio.us

Mark.B likes this.
  19. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

@Mark.B how did you do the popups like that? Was it a mod or did you code it yourself? I'd love to have them on my community.

20. Paul M

Paul M Dr Pepper Addict

Where has anyone said its fast ?
    All I see is some staff stating that they dont see the "minutes" you refer too.

Brandon likes this.