Do your members have get-togethers?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I think one of the signs that an online community has really gelled is when the members start getting together in real life. On one of my forums, not only do the members seek each other out at conventions, but they've started planning mini-conventions of their own, all without me doing anything except putting up a web page to organize it. They've had two so far, and it looks like it will be a yearly occurrence. :)

2. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I've never done this, but I'd love to at some point. I think it'd be a great deal of fun. :)

3. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

For sure.

People local to each other weekly, larger events monthly, country specific yearly.

I have the impression some forums are more suited to doing that than others. If the forum is a fan club for an NBA basketball team they may want to meet at the games for instance.

4. Peggy

Peggy Regular Member

On my very first forum, the one I sold, we had a large get-together after 2 yrs online. People from all over the country came, as well as one chap from the UK. It was great.

5. Nick

Nick Regular Member

We're only just over one year old and my members have get-togethers frequently - and they've been doing them for a while.

They organize them in our "Events, Shows, and Expos" section. While it's usually the same group of members that go (some close-living Canadian residents), others get in the mix sometimes.
    They always share the pictures and describe the fun they had when they get back to the forum.

I think it's great because these are our core members that have been with us since the beginning, and it creates such a great sense of community.

6. BlisteredBlood

BlisteredBlood Newcomer

First Name:
    Daniel
    I've always loved the idea of a get together with people and build a sense of comraderie with other users, but alas, I've never gotten the chance.

7. kev

kev Regular Member

I throw a bar-b-q once a year and invite my members. Sometimes people show up, sometimes not.

My members across the nation have held mettings, such as camp outs and such.

8. Mark.B

Mark.B Guest

We have occasional meets, we're having one in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, UK, in afew weeks. Only about 5 people going though. We've already met all bar one of them.

9. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Well I spend a lot of time with my members but most of them are personal friends.

Now I have done a lot of car show and car gtgs all over the state of Texas through other forums. Heck, I was supposed to do a monthly truck meet in Dallas today but changed my mind. I have also done range meets (gun related) both in Texas and other states. I love hanging out with like minded people and traveling.

10. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    I also try to do an annual Toy run for kids that started on National Harley Truck Owners Club.com under the Texas chapter. There is usually 20,000-40,000 bikers and a mix of Corvettes and Harley trucks every year.

Here is some pictures.

We start out at a local Waterbuger joint.
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_7cd2d275c277a963296f9f27f43ba180.jpg
    My truck is the first one..I'm one of the few that obeys the law and has a front lic plate lol
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_e893cd3408c9861532330e1267deb3c4.jpg

The Harley trucks
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_8d2197b3b889636362553801cca75b2d.jpg

Lightnings.
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_c074da3d7bde631205d0a7dcd39c03c1.jpg

Vettes
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_2a4fdc331004a94518fa41eeca9da633.jpg

Bikes
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_5bf81e04bd37fe583dc330e21453c21b.jpg

2 x truck load of kids bikes
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_0bc6f10674cc4130883ae0dcf98b95c9.jpg

Toys.
    awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_a180fbaf10fc1c9f0fb1732dc325e337.jpg

11. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Newcomer

That is truly awesome. The most successful forums I frequent have many in-person meets. It definitely makes the forums more tight-knit and valuable.

12. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    That looked like it was a great deal of fun. Nice trucks, too.

My members have never had get-togethers, though. I don't see it ever happening, but it would be kind of neat.

13. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Oh it's a lot of fun, the city blocks off I-30 in between down town Dallas and Arlington. When the time comes to move, everyone hauls buns. Those Vette guys are crazy. The time it takes us trucks to get on the hwy, them jokers are already in Arlington :eek:

14. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

50calray, when your members attend these conventions, do they have any way to recognize each other? I've been making my members personalized buttons with the forum logo and their username... I imagine your members are too cool to wear buttons though :)

15. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Sorry, I'm only a member of that forum and not a owner/mod/admin. As for knowing each other, we generally pick a restaurant every third Thursday and show up. The Toy run always starts off at the same Waterbuger restaurant. In both cases, you just keep an eye out for people pulling up in a Harley truck awww.adminaddict.net_data_MetaMirrorCache_d693a3ab819e80eb04fa414ed860c3c9.gif

16. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    I'm pretty sure a 1 liberal and 1 conservative would attempt to strangle one another if they ever met face to face. :lol:

17. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Nah, I have a friend who's a Liberal and we get along just fine...having 1000 miles in between us does help :lol:

18. Boss

Boss Resident Silly Man

First Name:
    Alex
    Mmm, I learned something important one day when I was down in SC. Just nod and smile. I leave it up to someone else to detangle the mess those two make. :devil:

19. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    If only I was as smart as you :o

20. torque

torque Regular Member

My website is only new - officially opened Jan 01 2009 - and forums werent added until about two months ago so my site is too new to have members get togethers, however we are starting to make a name for ourselves in sporting circles, and I am hopeful that in the future we would be able to organise get togethers where a group of us attend sporting events etc.