Do you use tables when making a website?

Discussion in 'Web Development and Programming' started by NBK*Twitch, Jun 14, 2010.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Yeah, I know what you mean there. I'm the same, I think reinventing the wheel and trying to recode a badly coded piece of software to remove tables or HTML validation errors is just far too much work for a forum or site that needs to be ready in less than a good few months.

2. bauss

bauss Regular Member

Same here. I use to code all of my sites with tables only, until I learned it wasn't the right way to do things.

3. johnthomas1433

johnthomas1433 Regular Member

I never use tables. Why do we have to use it when we have CSS ? Actually using the table is kind of frowned upon these days, and most people recommend CSS.

4. bigbigfan

bigbigfan Regular Member

I no longer use tables on any project, they are actually deprecated as an html element. I use css to position everything and it really is easy to do when you get the hang of it. The end result is sites that don't break, including IE.

5. ragtek

ragtek Regular Member

What?
    I'm sure that's not true:P Have you any link?

6. fermlour

fermlour Regular Member

when I was learning to program I used, it was much easier and fast, now use the divs.

7. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

They're not deprecated. They're still perfectly valid, they're just meant to be used for tabular data. For instance, if you have a timetable or database table visualisation, then you're supposed to use a table for it because that's what it is.

And using them for layouts hasn't technically become 'invalid' code wise, just discouraged.

8. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I usually will use tables when my knowledge of CSS fails me. If I don't have time to look it up and do it "correctly", I'll just use a table and not worry about. If I think of it, I might change it later.

9. echo_unlimited

echo_unlimited Professional Procrastinator

Not for design. I've seen some basic websites designed with tables and they don't look particularly nice.

10. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

I only use tables for centering stuff vertically on a page, like for my personal website, http://lukelarris.com.

11. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

While I don't recommend tables for design, it's a bit harsh to say sites designed using them don't look particularly nice.

After all, every early 00s site I can remember used them, and some of those did look pretty good.

That seems like it could be done fairly easily with CSS alone (the style does look pretty good as of this point in time though).

fattony69 likes this.
  12. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

Tables are completely dated. Everything can be done with divs.

13. Lee.

Lee. Regular Member

What about when displaying tabular data, such as a list of orders in a database table?

I am of the opinion that tables have their purpose - but isn't design related!

Brandon and CM30 like this.
  14. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

I don't usually use tables on my websites but on the last project I had to display the items of an inventory and there it made a lot of sense using a table. I felt funny while doing so because there have been years sin the last time I placed a table tag on any site.

15. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

There's nothing wrong with that, tables are meant for tabular data and that seems like it was tabular data. That's where you're meant to use a table.

16. lucasbytegenius

lucasbytegenius Regular Member

I have yet to see something reliable to do that though. Also, thanks :)

17. avantidesai

avantidesai Regular Member

I think tables are passe. SPAN and DIV are the go to ways for making tables. They make your page much lighter than using conventional tables on your page.

18. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

Depends what its for for like
    - Awards
    - Leaderboards
    - Top Downloads
    - Achievements
    Pretty much the things i use it for not always but yanno :D

19. bosconian

bosconian Regular Member

You are right, many web apps are built used tables. I have seen many joomla templates that make use of tables. When I have used I obviously haven't made any changes on the code as it would turn into a headache and the result would look the same. For any new design I stay away from tables to create the layout and only use them to display data.

20. KneeHigh

KneeHigh Regular Member

Yep, but only to display formatted data. I'm lazy and a responsive table is a 10 second done deal. :)