Do you send full emails or snippets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Brandon, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I like websites that send the full message in an email. These are generated from PM's or someone replying to a thread you're watching. I understand why an admin would only want to send a snippet so they get visitors to the site to read the full message.

Do you send the full PM or other forum message in the automated emails from the forum?

2. Marc

Marc Checkmate - Game Over

I honestly don't know, haha. I don't change those settings, so I go with the defaults, :D
    Most of the times regarding settings for members/emails, I try to disable sending of emails and prefer having members to go to their profiles and select if they wish to receive emails.
    - That's for newly registered accounts..

I know as a member, it can be very annoying to get hundreds of emails notifying yourself of new replies to your messages at forums.
    That's why once I join a forum, I go to my profile and unselect any email notifications that I can find, :oops: ( maybe not notifications of new inbox messages.. )

Brandon likes this.
  3. Dan Hutter

Dan Hutter aka Big Dan

I used to always delete the snippet from the PM phrase (vB) only because sometimes members would reply to the email and it would come to me instead of them replying to the PM on board.

A couple of members missed the snippet so I put it back.

Seneca and Brandon like this.
  4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I believe we only send snipplets of the PMs sent and things like that. At least that's how I set it up months ago.

5. TheNova

TheNova Regular Member

I prefer to send the full eMail. I've always believed that if the user wants to visit your website/forum, then it's their choice. Why try and make them re-visit your website just to read the rest of the message? If they want to come back, they will.

Brandon likes this.
  6. Seneca

Seneca Regular Member

I've been trying to decide this very thing. I like the full email, but the prob is that when someone goes back and edits their words, the email is already gone. Our forum, things get pretty sensitive, and stating things in a good way is key.