Do you put up ads right away?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

Do you build your site with the ads in place, or do you wait to add them until you have regular traffic?

2. FacistAdmin

FacistAdmin Newcomer

First Name:
    Duncan
    If it's just a website I'm hosting, then I might add some google ads right off the bat. However, I like my forums ad-free. :)

3. 50calray

50calray Grand Master

First Name:
    Ray
    Well I'm not a big google ad person and the ads I want come with time.

4. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I think it is best to add them in time when you need to fork out for a better server, £7.99 hosting per month is fine for a hobby etc but when you need to pay £30+ a month it then becomes a bill and it is always rewarding to see some of it come back to you.

5. kev

kev Regular Member

I try to wait until I get the traffic, and then put up a couple of ads. But I like my forums as banner free as I can get them.

On my main forum I can not put google adsense banners on it. Google does not want their ads next to anything that promotes the sale of firearms, knives or any other kind of weapon. And since my site discusses buying and selling of all kinds of weapons, I can not have google ads on my site.

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I was wondering about that when I saw one of my members had put up a thread about throwing knives last night. I was surprised to see that not only did Google display ads on that page, but one of the ads was even for sets of throwing knives. I guess Google lets them through because they're for entertainment purposes, but I was surprised they actually made the distinction.

7. Nick

Nick Regular Member

I waited almost an entire year before putting ads up on my forum. It really is a turn off to visit a new site (not active) and see ads plastered everywhere. Money and revenue shouldn't be major concerns in the beginning at all.

Here, we don't even have ads yet except for real sponsors. We didn't even anticipate acquiring advertisers in the beginning, but they came running in so we weren't going to deny them.

8. Wayne Luke

Wayne Luke Regular Member

No ads yet but will probably put some up next month. Most likely affiliate ads that would be useful to the site's topic. Not interested in using Adsense. Even then it will probably only be a few ads, I don't like them plastered every where.

9. torque

torque Regular Member

I have three ads on my site:-
    One just above all the forums - this is where my main sponsors that make my site possible and free to run get advertised.

One just above the quick reply - this is just a text based ad that I personally use to advertise our competitions, our website (as some people forget we have one lol) and things like that.

And also have one image/flash add in our footer where people can pay $5 a month to have it there.

10. Tyler

Tyler The Badministrator

First Name:
    Tyler
    I don't do it ever, unless someone asks me about it.

11. tryfuhl

tryfuhl Champion

First Name:
    Shawn
    Guests can see all the ads that I choose; registered members (at the moment) only get a banner, donating users don't see ads. There are a couple of arguments .. 1 being nobody wants ads on a new site.. the other being if you start with ads people are accustomed to them and won't freak like they would if you went from no ads to ads

I like the 2nd approach