Do you merge or lock similar threads?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Kaiser, May 19, 2011.

1. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

I'm okay with similar threads, as long as they are, you know, similar. If they're exactly the same, I'll merge them.

2. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

It depends on how far the new thread has gone.

If it's just a brand new thread asking the same question, then I will leave a link to the previous one and then lock the new one. If people have already been talking and new conversations are going, then I will usually merge it.

cpvr likes this.
  3. tetutato

tetutato Regular Member

I do if they are VERY similar. If they are slightly off and the other one is pretty outdated, then I just leave the new thread alone.

4. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

It all depends on how similar the topic is. If they're saying the same thing that another topic is saying, then I'll merge them together and set up a 2 day redirection.

5. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I generally merge them. A dozen threads on the same topic is just too much, especially on sports forums, where everyone is in a rush to be the first to post news.

cpvr and Brandon like this.
  6. bauss

bauss Regular Member

If threads are talking about the exact same topic I'll most likely lock the thread, and post a link to the old thread. It depends on the topic, and if it needs to be discussed again in another thread.

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

@ProSportsForums
    I can relate because with our virtual pets news forum sometimes users rush to make a new news topic, however, the site owner or staff members of the game are actually the first thread creators, so we have to merge the duplicate threads and redirect them for a day or so. I couldn't imagine how many threads you have to merge on a daily basis. Especially since it's NFL Free Agency season right now and rumors are flying all around.