Do you have an thread/ post quota for your moderators?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Glcameron, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Glcameron

Glcameron The Social Media Guru You Go To

We all know a forum takes more than one person to run 24 hours a day. There are a plethora of tasks associated with managing, maintaining and monitoring a forum. With the promotion of a moderator or a member to a higher status on your forum do you uphold a quota of threads/ posts they must provide each month to maintain that status? Do you require your staff to simply monitor adherence to the terms and conditions or do you take it a step further with what you expect from your staff?

2. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Not at the moment, although perhaps I probably should.

3. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

Yes. I expect staff to contribute at least one quality thread per day, one quality blog per week, and one quality article per month in addition to replying to member's posts in the forums they moderate.

4. Glcameron

Glcameron The Social Media Guru You Go To

Do you think requiring participation from your moderators influences them to share more of themselves and become deeper invested or is it simply to ensure they still have interested vested in the forum? I know of quite a few forums with moderators and super moderators whom simply seem like they are coasting through the posts allowing vulgar activity without taking action only when it hits close to one of their interests.

5. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I'm a person who believes that members have to demonstrate the qualities I want in a moderator before I consider making her or him one.
    My first rule is: Anyone who asks to be a moderator will never be one.
    I find that members who are already doing what I would ask of a moderator continue doing so after they are made moderators.
    The caveat is I require members to demonstrate those qualities for months or years.
    A lot of members come in hell bent for leather and look like good candidates for the first few weeks or months.
    Then they burn out.
    Those are not the members you want with moderator powers.

zappaDPJ likes this.
  6. ConfabIt

ConfabIt Regular Member

I tried a "three threads per day" approach but few people did it. I have a daily checklist thread now for people to update me on what they've done each day.

7. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    That's what I was thinking as well, I don't force anyone to post but maybe I should make my moderators post X times a week. :D

8. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

I've attempted this but my staff is beyond useless so it winds up being a waste for me.

9. bauss

bauss Regular Member

I'm the only moderator on my forum, but if I we're to hire any help for moderating. They wouldn't be required to make a "x" amount of posts. But they would be required to be online during certain hours.

10. mscuban

mscuban Regular Member

I have been used to trusting my moderators in the past to maintain the TOS with very minimal direction from me. I trust them to know how often they need to update members with posts. For us it's not a thread unless we encourage member input. That would probably be an occurrence of once every three months. Monthly post updates are sufficient. I personally do them only every six months. That allows me to focus on SEO and other options while the moderators maintain the rest.

11. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I don't require my moderators to post anything, but if I want them to, I just ask them nicely.

12. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Regular Member

You really can't make volunteers do anything. Mods generally do things as they have time. We all have real jobs. If they disappear for long periods I may try to contact them. And if they turn out to be deadbeats I just remove their moderator status and they figure it out on their next return. Same as any volunteer organization, people do what they can and you just get more people than you would normally need.

Now if they were paid that's a different story.

13. thebrad

thebrad Regular Member

I don't i just say that he must do his job and if i see he is not then ill demote him i don't see much point in enough threads etc.