Do you get angry when members make low-quality posts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cpvr, Nov 28, 2011.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

If you make short posts yourself, you shouldn't get mad at your members for following your lead.

2. Superboy

Superboy Most Likely, I'm Insane.

i really don't mind to be honest. I know some of my admins on my site hate it because some members do tend to literally post BS posts.

For instance

@cpvr and I can be talking and he makes a joke and then i reply back with "lol".

that is low quality to me and happens on my forum however given the mentality and the flakiness of my members i tend to just....go with the flow and let them do as they wish as long as they are posting.

3. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

Not really, it's not like I'm paying them to do it:barefoot: I encourage people to post and I don't really mind what they write as long as it's not spam (ie. links, repetitive messages, etc.). It's definitely spam that pisses me off a little bit - then I remember I own a huge ban hammer.

4. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

If they're obviously junk, spam, or made with the intention of upping their post count, then I delete them and let the person know why. I have very, rarely had to deal with that at all, but hey, it does happen. I have no issues getting rid of it and moving on. If it's just an occasional post mixed in with other quality posts, then I ignore it.

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

How does everyone feel when users use Gifs as replies to certain posts? I feel that they sometimes add more substance to a thread and can bring out some humor.:sneaky:

6. fattony69

fattony69 Regular Member

I make short, low quality posts.

7. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

It depends on what kind of forum it is.

If it's a chat or general forum, then I don't mind whatsoever. Like you said, sometimes it can bring a lot of humor and after all, a picture is worth a thousand words, so a gif can say even more.

I don't think it's appropriate to do as every single reply, though, and it's rarely appropriate on a professional or business site.

8. Monster

Monster Admin Talk Staff

holyshit.gif

Jessi likes this.
  9. bauss

bauss Regular Member

Posts like "lol cool" annoy me a bit, so I delete them and send a infraction to the user to let them know that posts like that aren't accepted on my forum.

10. dojo

dojo Regular Member

I don't get angry. I get even :D

Seriously now, I have very few times when people post crap. most our members see that there's a good posting quality and try to 'mimic' us. So it's been maybe few times when I had to privately contact someone and let them know that, while we appreciate the involvement, we'd like them to put some more effort into their posts.

11. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Same here. It all depends on the topic and if I can write longer or not. If I write a lot its because the topic interests me a lot.

12. monkey

monkey Regular Member

Depends how low of quality, but usually yes. It gets me mad and it is pretty irritating sometimes.

13. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I have a standing rule ... have a point. Even in the off-topic forums. The exception to that is the "anything goes" forum. Pointless post-padding will result in a permanent ban. I'm not wasting my time deleting individual posts.

14. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

So how do you deem if someone "has a point"? Are you pretty lax with it and so long as they're not being completely useless, it's okay?

15. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

If I read a post and can't understand what it is saying in relation to the original post or to the post being replied to then it's pointless. Specifically what is being replied to should be quoted in the post. If the reply adds nothing to the discussion it's pointless. That would include posts such as "I agree." or "This is stupid!" or anything else that is a discussion killer, or could be construed as baiting, trolling, flaming or otherwise disruptive of the conversation. My forums aren't space limited. There are forums for everything and members are free to start new topics on everything. Therefore, derailing a thread is strictly prohibited. I've seen a lot of forums with relaxed policies and none of their threads remain on topic. I don't care for that environment.

16. bigbigfan

bigbigfan Regular Member

I don't get angry, I try to guide the post to a better place by adding an extra point of view or making an observation or comment worthy of generating some extra interest and value. It's not an easy thing to do sometimes but it works. If the one line posts of little value continue I PM the member and let them know why I'd appreciate the posts be a little more constructive.