Do you ban members often?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by cpvr, Jan 13, 2013.

1. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Every since we @Iconic and I implemented other features to block out spammers, we don't have to ban much spammers anymore. I like the fact that a user needs to be approved in order to post a link and a blog has been approved if its by a new user.

So, do you ban members often or are you a laid back admin and don't have to ban members a lot?

If you ban a lot, how often do you ban users for?

Iconic likes this.
  2. monkey

monkey Regular Member

I ban spammers / spam bots of course. I usually don't ban members unless I really need to. I've only banned about 4 members total, which was for reasons like Doxing members, multi accounts, etc..

3. Jura

Jura Regular Member

I restrict members and block spam accounts, so my member ban list is always clear.

4. ProSportsForums

ProSportsForums Regular Member

I've got a combination of mods that blocks virtually all spam. As far as members are concerned I keep an open door policy inasmuch as is possible. A member really has to make a concerted effort to be a disruption to the community. On the other hand, I don't use the infraction system. If you're only around to cause problems then you won't be around long. Very few members fall into this category.

5. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

I rarely have to ban anyone. I do still regularly ban spammers if they're not caught immediately by plugins. I don't usually need to ban real members, but every so often, someone will start trolling or need to be gotten rid of entirely and I'll use the ban hammer.

6. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Not really. My custom questions and anti spam mods take care of the spammers, so generally there are very few rule breakers left to ban.

7. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Regular Member

Yes I do due to the idiots who just hassle me all the time.
    The good ones that care stay but those that break the rules too often are shown the door.

8. Voided

Voided Regular Member

Mainly spammers and the few constant rule breakers who never learn their lesson, that's about it.

9. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Regular Member

We ban ~40 users per day. Our registration process flat out doesn't allow registration of ~500 attempted new accounts per day, and then we get about 20 new accounts that the system allows to register, but flags for human review before they can do anything (these ones are iffy on the potential for being a spammer, duplicate account, etc. Of the ones flagged for human review, MAYBE 1 in 50 are approved).

I would probably kill myself without our backend "user evaluator" when someone tries to register.

Liam W and Brandon like this.
  10. 2dub

2dub Regular Member

I think in 5 years I've had to ban about 3 people for just being outright disruptive.

But a few times a week I get a spammer ho gets through the safeguards, but once someone is in they're generally pretty good.

11. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    The only users I've had to ban recently are spammers, luckily I haven't had to ban many since we implemented the current spam protection. :thumbsup:

12. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Regular Member

I hardly get spammers on my board mainly because they don't know the answer to the question that I have for them. Also I manually approve every account. Catch the douchebags that keep on registering under usernames that clearly aren't them.

13. bigbigfan

bigbigfan Regular Member

I ban bots daily and I don't only ban them I locate their websites and their clients and ban them as well. I also attempt to figure out their original non-proxy IP address in various ways and I send them to the known spammers list so that they are auto-banned from other sites.

No mercy, spam sucks.

14. jason29

jason29 Regular Member

I hardly ban members as i get less spam bots...Happy that i have less spam bots.

15. benjaminp

benjaminp Regular Member

The only time I've had to ban an account so far is when they've spammed. Though I must admit they very rarely get through ;)

16. dwdmadmac

dwdmadmac Regular Member

Never had an issue with spammers, not trying to jinx myself. To often on Bans for regular users. Tend to get allot of troll's who are very disruptive & highly inappropriate. Can be very irritating at times.

17. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

Yeah, I do. And I'm proud of it :adminpower:

Once my site got lots of new people signing up a day, I had to be more strict. When you manage a rather small forum, where all members practically know each other, you can tolerate it when a few rules are broken. But when that community grows, you get a lot of new people spamming, cursing, etc. and don't have the time to PM them all saying "next time, please do this and that".

My system is 3 strikes and you're out. Breaking 3 rules would get you permanently banned. Spammers, however, got automatically banned and IP banned. I'm just that evil.

18. Martin W

Martin W Regular Member

Hardly ever. I tend to only end up banning like bot spam accounts. I maybe have banned 3-4 accounts that were real in the past 6 years of webmastering.

19. attagirl

attagirl Regular Member

I believe the consensus is about the same across the board here. Spam gets banned, user not so much if they are following the rules. I do not have any forums that do not require me to look at the account to approve the user (or someone else). That is because I wanna know who I am dealing with, I have over the years had some issues but these are far and few between. I mean, spam is the biggest issue that forums have to pay attention to, at least in my experience.

20. limcid

limcid Regular Member

I try to always give the person a chance by letting them know that my site may not have the same guidelines as other sites they visit and that they need to take a moment to review. I find that usually does the job. If not, depending on what they've done, I'll ban them or give a stern warning (that's followed by a ban if they're a problem again).

It's rare that I've had to ban someone, but sometimes you've got to do what's best for everyone else.