Do you ask members to create threads?

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by cpvr, Jun 3, 2011.

1. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

I don't directly ask people to make topics, makes it seem as if I'm lazy and want the community to put in all the work. No, I just post whatever topics I need myself.

2. Hotmess

Hotmess Regular Member

I will rather they didn't. I have a consolidated set up going so there is no need for individual threads. Some members were starting threads like "What Did You Have For Breakfast" before I disabled the Start Topic button. I'll rather my forum be empty than be filled with threads like not. Not only are they junk but they are OT as well

If anyone want to create a thread, they have to make a request and we'll decide if it is worth it

3. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I haven't seen that type of moderation on a forum in a while. Why made you guys go that route though? Freedom of speech not allowed so much?
    @CM30 Same here unless I've already made a ton of threads for the day, then I ask one of my staff members to create the thread. Some things I just don't want to post, but I know they will.

4. Hotmess

Hotmess Regular Member

Nothing of that sort. Everything is consolidated so there is not need for individual threads.

You have to see how it is set up to understand

5. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Or you could take a screenshot and show us how its setup for those that are curious like me?

6. Hotmess

Hotmess Regular Member

You could just follow the link in my signature. It is much easier than me going through the trouble of taking a screenshot

Take the Big Brother forum for example. It is one of the shows that has it's own section. We have threads that everything you can think of discussing.

It'll be a nightmare to moderate a forum where everyone can come and start a thread about whatever is on their minds

7. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I see what you're doing - so you make a topic, make users post there, thus, they don't need to make their own? Such as with introductions forum?

8. Hotmess

Hotmess Regular Member

That is it in a gist. If everyone that posted in the introduction thread where to start their own thread, that forum would be cluttered in no time. We might even have to have a Forum for introduction. Which. Nah

cpvr likes this.
  9. carntheroos4eva

carntheroos4eva Regular Member

Yep. It's the only way to create discussion. Otherwise how are the other members going to get their point across if they are unable to create a thread about something they need to discuss.

10. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I see, that style of moderation/running a board is just different for me. Glad its working out for you though.

Hotmess likes this.
  11. Jessi

Jessi Regular Member

I definitely don't. While I might mention publicly on the boards that we could use some new things to talk about, I don't privately reach out. I don't want anyone to feel obligated to starting new threads when maybe they prefer making replies.

12. tetutato

tetutato Regular Member

In the beginning yes - I pretty much begged them. Now, I just let the things run by itself.

13. Hotmess

Hotmess Regular Member

It is nice and tidy. And yes, it working for us. Thanks @cpvr

14. thenextGeek

thenextGeek Regular Member

My thoughts exactly. If a forum owner asked me to create a thread to promote activity on his forum then maybe there's a chance that I will leave the forum for good. I don't really like getting pressured. Besides, forumers post if they are interested. Having the lack of forum activity means that there are no interesting threads for them to post in and pm'ing them to post a new thread will only make the forum owner look bad. Its a total game breaker if the forum owner's image became tattered.

15. webaficionado

webaficionado Regular Member

No, I'd never do that unless I was paying someone to post them. If they're regular members, let them be and act like regular members. It'd look beggy and desperate to ask them for something that would only benefit you. At least create a contest for whoever creates the most threads to win something like cash or forum privileges.

16. Flexin

Flexin Regular Member

I don't normally ask them to start threads. My site is on cars so if they mention that they did anything to their car I do let them know about my build thread section and say it would be nice if they would post in there. Other then that I don't ask.

James