Do the "things are slow here" posts make things worse?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by Soliloquy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I'm not sure what it is, but ever since Memorial Day my forum has slowed down a bit. Not to the point where I'm panicking (yet), but the members have noticed and have started posting things like

"Gee, where is everyone?"

"I need something to read! Somebody post!"

"Sure is quiet tonight."

It's frustrating because you can't go delete those posts without looking like a jackbooted fascist, but at the same time leaving them there plants the idea that this forum is boring, I should go somewhere else in their heads. Aside from going on a posting spree and starting a bunch of new threads yourself, what can you do about it?

2. Nick

Nick Regular Member

Good question. We're actually experiencing this here, and we've made a few comments here-and-there throughout the forum, so maybe I should stop making those little hints.

I'd like to hear what others' thoughts are.

3. Chris

Chris Regular Member

On the contrary, I've found that these threads/posts actually boost the activity - I'm not sure exactly as to why, but from experience, this is what I have noticed in the past.

4. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

I hope you're right, Chris. Some of my dedicated members (the ones privy to how much I actually worry about my site) do try to think up interesting posts... it's the average user I'm worried about.

5. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Those threads are an opportunity to give updates on things not normally considered important.

Yes it does seem slow at the moment. Jill is over at a conference and will post back soon with some interesting news, Jack is on a trip to Australia to visit family and bring back pics of the new ___ and on Wednesday should have those pictures up.

The only time it really is a problem is when the slowing of the posts occurs abruptly. Then people think 'what happened?' which may cause them not to post at all.

Nothing wrong with an announcement or notice for letting people know if something special is happening on non-site issues occasionally.

6. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

That's good advice, Abomination, except right now my best theory is that things are slow due to the nice weather. I'd say finals at school except my site doesn't have very many students.

7. Chris

Chris Regular Member

I'd give it a bit more time, Michelle. It's never fun to experience such a lull in activity, but it will pick up. Be optimistic! :)

8. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Then think of something interesting and post it up.

"Did you hear that the makers of vB are coming out with a new release? I'm thinking of switching over because of these new features ___. What do you think?"

Or ask them how they think the forum could be improved (subforums, colors)
    Put up pics of your city
    Or a funny cartoon you found on the internet. Here I'll give you one to share

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  9. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

funny cartoons would go over well! I'll try that. Thanks, Abomination.

10. Chris

Chris Regular Member

Wow, maybe I'll try using that technique. :)

11. Lynne

Lynne Regular Member

I've noticed this same thing on part of my forum. I really have a divided forum - there are those that are just there to upload/download music, and then there are those who like to post whore in our Lounge. Our Lounge activity is kinda down, which has led some users to go create their silly aliases and start posting weird things (they love to create movie actors aliases or real people aliases and post in character) and it kinda makes the activity go back up. They do have a Where is Everybody thread that they like to bump though. I just let them play in that forum and make it what they want to make it. Our music section though is doing great. I think people are home from college and not behind firewalls and so they can upload/download much easier now.

12. Nick

Nick Regular Member

That's very cool, Lynne! I really like your philosophy of letting the users make the Lounge whatever they want it to be. This is what the whole idea of a forum is - providing a place for members to interact and actually enjoy doing so.

As long as things remain safe, legal and moral, there's really no reason not to condone the silly behavior. :)

13. Tom

Tom Regular Member

Well it's the season where people are out and about with family and enjoying the weather.

I'm really not expecting much activity over the summer as I know I won't be too active.

However, when it gets to the point where users are posting about it, I'd consider a long term post exchange.

14. kev

kev Regular Member

I think negative comments and thoughts only breeds more negative comments and thoughts.

To grow a garden, you plant the right types of seeds. If you want to grow cucumbers, do not plant weeds. And negative comments are weeds.

3 people like this.
  15. Soliloquy

Soliloquy Regular Member

That's my thinking, but how do you weed them out without deleting the posts or forbidding that topic of conversation? The users would (rightly) say you're too controlling.

16. torque

torque Regular Member

Haha, I try to post daily, being a sports news website I have RSS feeds coming from my own news articles posting onto the forums, then I go through reply to threads any member have posted, then try to post a couple new threads about numerous talking points to try and generate more interest etc.

17. Michael

Michael Regular Member

I think they do make things worse especially when another member agrees. It is actually quite upsetting to hear these things on your own forum as it is extremely hard for an administrator to change this, yes admins could post more threads etc but it would be much better if the members complaining would try to increase activity too :D