"Do it. Ban me"

Discussion in 'Member and Staff Management' started by Nick, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Peacelily

Peacelily Adept

I refuse to give someone the satisfaction of being able to run away and boast that they got banned. Miserable Users Hack. :devil:

2. Abomination

Abomination Zealot

Wow! I've not seen you for a while!

Hope you have been well. : )

3. nishant.soni

nishant.soni Novice

First Name:
    nishant
    I'd say BAN THE USER ... IF that reply was posted on the forums. And *ignore* if it was sent through private message.

Its really important for you to be respected by the members of your forums.

4. Vekseid

Vekseid Regular Member

We banned the woman who was at the time the top poster on Elliquiy. 30k posts. I still get O_o style messages about that...

So, generally speaking, anyone who pays attention knows that the rules will be enforced.

5. Hagar

Hagar Newcomer

I'd site ban people if necessary but it would only be for a week the first time to give them time to calm down and reflect on their actions. Subsequent bans would be longer leading eventually to a permanent site ban.

6. Glen

Glen Newcomer

First Name:
    Glen
    I think it all comes down to previous posting history. If the member is a spammer/troll then Ban but if it's a productive member then I usually put it down to a vent and ignore it.

Also the context the message is sent in is a big factor aswell. If people start to insult even if they are venting then it's ban, of course they can always appeal their ban at a later date.

@Peacelily I really love the idea of setting all thier new posts to be moderated :P

7. Michael

Michael Regular Member

We have had this a couple of times and all lead to a permanent ban, they all went from a polite warning message, to their response wanting to be banned and us ignoring to a load of abuse each time.

8. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

Try using the warning and THREE days suspension way.

That way they might cool off before making any more rash postings fanning the fire.People can get carried away and wonder later why they did it.

Some people just need a break to cool down.

9. Sunsettommy

Sunsettommy Adept

A neat way to deal with chronic rule benders and annoying behavior.

:D

10. badgateway

badgateway Regular Member

i had a negative nancy on my site. he kept trying to get drama going. spreading lies on the MODS via PM trying to get other members to leave. so after turning off the PM's for awhile he started messaging members offline. then when he seen that he was being ignored on the board he started posting profile messages to different members trying to start stuff. so he eventually got that ban that he wanted.

11. The General

The General Regular Member

First Name:
    Kendall
    I agree, I'm not one to sit around and wait for something I know is going to happen, I'll get it out the way right there and then

12. Humor4Guys

Humor4Guys Regular Member

First Name:
    Dominic
    My forum rules are very loose, so there's not a whole lot that will get someone banned to begin with.

But in the event someone says "ban me", I try to take a different kind of approach to it. I try to understand that everyone has bad days (or days when they're totally drunk out of their minds). So I try to give them the benefit of the doubt right away. Mostly, if someone says "ban me" I either think they're having one of those bad days or they're either seeing attention.

If they are being problematic over a long period of several days, I will ban them right away. If they are only being problematic over a couple of hours, I may put a moderate-before-posting tag on them for a few hours.