Dmoz: ever got a site listed?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Online Community' started by cpvr, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus Admin Talk Staff

If you are not cheating then you are not trying.. And I have always lived by that.. If you find an advantage you should take it.. Specially if its going to pay off.. Time is money and if I can pay someone to expediate something I want done why not pay them? I am not bragging, I am more or less just pointing out that is a much easier way into DMOZ..And that guy called me a liar when I know for a fact I did what I did multiple times.. How am I arguing? I am simply stating my opinion.. I am not calling names or attacking anyone. I am just saying the best way to get into DMOZ is to pay an editor... It is as simple as that.. And if you think people do not do that then well thats for you to believe I guess... But, I wouldnt just make it up..There is no gain in that.. And I just always get the same stuff anytime all the way back years ago when I mentioned its eaiser to get into DMOZ by bribing than by waiting.. Though its usually that guy from TAZ coming to single me out and attack me..Though, I do not get why its such a big deal telling the truth? The DMOZ editors act like OH NOEZ ITS NOT FAIR I DONT GET PAID...So lets go attack the people that say you can get in by paying or lets find those getting paid so we can get rid of them.. It is a site run by humans.. Cmon.. Humans....What do you expect?

Brandon likes this.
  2. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    I can guarantee that I will look into your claims and also guarantee that I will find out if it's true or not.

cpvr, pm me and I'll look into your site.

3. Cerberus

Goodluck with that.. But I am thinking you probably wont..But it is highly silly to pretend like it doesnt happen just because you are apart of the site....

4. Carlos

Carlos Regular Member

I think you're wrong here. Just because someone isn't cheating, they're not trying. I have tried every possible way to get my site listed on DMOZ; the boring way, and the "attractive" way. "Attractive" as in, targeting the editors so that they are compelled to approve your site. So, since I've run out of ideas, I gave up. I think DMOZ is the worst directory out in existence. I don't even know why AWS is so "strong willed" enough to look into your claims and try to remove the "weak" link.

I just think you're taking the easy way out of beating the DMOZ system. Just like those campers in a Call of Duty game: They camp so that it's easy for them to be in the top 3. Cheaters in Call of Duty are worse at this aspect. Join a game of COD4 or MW2 as a normal player, and see how you like cheating in video games.

Okay, so you run a website that allows talk of exploiting the various websites that are out on the market. In reality, it's people like you that put companies out of business. Lockerz was a really nice service, and I kind-of liked the idea, but I gave up on it because I really can't be bothered to put the effort to get the stuff that's on that service. I mean, a month of credits to get Xbox 360? While cheap cheaters like [you or] your general readership get to get the system the week after their plan? I'm telling you, it's not fair to the website owners that put out thousands of dollars out of their @$$ over cheaters like you or your readers. You better thank god that your site does not cover Google Adsense because you will piss off not just site owners like myself, you will piss off bloggers, writers, and business owners so hard that they will file a class action lawsuit against you for putting them out of the ad game. And guess who's going to represent that class action? Google.

You hear a lot about people getting banned on Adsense these days... I know a few people losing money because they were banned from GA. Google gets a lot of spam these days, and not only that, they get a lot of cheaters like yourself and/or your site's readers.

But hey, enjoy what you're doing. It's your site. :thumbsup:

5. L12345

L12345 Regular Member

Proud to met Mr. AWS! Please, tell me if some of these 3 websites has a chance to be in DMOZ:
    www.seo-forum-seo-luntan.com (international SEO and Non-SEO forum)
    www.red-moles.info (about the red moles in medicine and politics)
    www.where-is-ip.info (about the IPs)

Because I saw in the http://www.resource-zone.com that a person said "Times vary between a few days and several years. " :) and I hope you can answer me now weather I have any chance for some of these 3 websites or not. Thank you!

6. Cerberus

Actually, I think you misunderstand what we do on TrueCheaters. We do not do anything blackhat or illegal. We operate in the grey area and target promos. And yeah we have had bots for Lockerz in the past but it was video watcher bots because at one time it was easy to let a bot run through all the videos and amass tons of points. I ended up getting a couple gaming systems from them for free. Cheating is a word people like to use for lots of things, but cheating doesnt have to be a bad thing. If you can find a way to game the system then more power to you. Advantages is what we look for and no I would never cheat google. I dont have to. I have made into the 5 digits on google for like 10 years in a row now.. Though it is much harder after the Penguin update, but people are figuring it out .. As for DMOZ to get back on topic I agree its not that great of a directory and with the update its value is not what it used to be, but hey if you want in there are other ways was all I am saying and I have used them in the past :) I mean no offense or any type of negative anything ... I am just being honest as per the usual

7. CM30

CM30 Regular Member

Back to the topic of the DMOZ...

I don't care if people try and manipulate it or bribe people to include their sites. Because whether the last few editor hold outs like it or not, absolute NO ONE uses the site to find websites or useful content any more. Directories are generally dead, to the point I'd say about 99% of their audience is probably webmasters looking for free links to their sites. The Open Directory is dead, the directory concept is generally dead and quite frankly they may as well just accept their audience is pretty much 100% webmasters and spammers now.

And hey, at least that true cheaters site looks to have content people might be looking for. If there's a relevant category for it, why shouldn't the guy above's site be accepted in? The DMOZ thing is meant to list useful sites, and it looks a lot more useful than a lot of the long dead garbage cluttering up that directory.

Hell, here's a question: Why doesn't the DMOZ just shut down already? Even Google dropped the whole thing as a service.

AWS and Dan Hutter like this.
  8. bauss

bauss Regular Member

There isn't a "suggest URL" link for my niche, so no I haven't.

9. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

I believe there's a lot of sites that give your IP. The resource-zone, isn't it owned by TheAdminZone's management or is it owned by someone else? Personally I'd love to get my board listed on big-boards directory one day as well.

Brandon likes this.
  10. AWS

AWS Administrator

First Name:
    Bob
    The domain is owned by me and it's hosted by me. Me and a few high level editors started the community so submitters could interact with editors. I stepped down as editor for a couple years and when I did I turned over control of the licenses to another editor. When I came back I resumed my duties as admin again.

It has nothing to do with the admin zone. I was an admin at taz for a while so maybe that is where the confusion comes from.

Brandon and cpvr like this.
  11. cpvr

cpvr Regular Member

Ya, that's how I became confused about it. Thanks for explaining things to us. Also, did you manage to get the DMOZ listing for me? I pmed you about it.

12. SatGuyScott

SatGuyScott Regular Member

Brandon likes this.
  13. Brandon

Brandon Regular Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    I haven't checked dmoz is years, I really need to sit down and submit the new sites I've started in the last 3 years.
    I really like how the conversation is coming along, let's not let it get personal and be thankful to those who have been listing off their experience :)
    nice work!

14. Cerberus

I am going to do a DMOZ test.. I will use the site in my signature... It is a legit site..Gets tons of traffic(mostly organic since scene is slow for summer) and has tons of useful content. People can come there and learn to code in various langauages. I am going to submit it.. So I searched and I believe it fits here http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Hacking/Chats_and_Forums/ .. We discuss all things computer related lots of things about hacking cheating games and promos.. It is the correct place and has only 5 submissions.. This is 100% legit.. So I am going to submit it and see how long it takes.. Realisticly if this site is still valid and useful should be no time.. Sepcially since none of our competitors sites are listed in Dmoz... I will let you all go.. This is an experiment to see if DMOZ still holds any value.. And if it is listed then i will monitor all traffic and see how many hits we get with the referal of DMOZ.. But I dont know if it will make it that far

15. LunarScorpio

LunarScorpio The Counselor

I've never had success with getting listed on DMOZ. It's really discouraging really, but I just keep waiting and hoping that one day my site will get listed.

16. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

I have tried (many times) but never had a site accepted or any feedback, this was a long time ago. But I've been thinking about it recently now that I have a few new projects that I'm working on.

17. Cerberus

Just an update on this.. I made a legit submission with a good description.. And still not listed.. I honestly do not see it getting listed proving that it is kinda pointless not to pay an editor...

18. DaUnknownAdm!n

DaUnknownAdm!n Regular Member

Hmm, I think I might have a go at it this weekend.